General Hardware, ADSmartIO, Digital I/O and A/Ds
 BitsyX power consumption
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

godfreytodd

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  16:03:46  Show Profile
I am making a power budget for our product that uses the BitsyX. In section 6.2.5 of the BitsyX User's Manual Rev. 3.0 there is a table for power consumption in various modes but there is a TBD for the board at 'CPU at max'. Has this been determined? I assume that these numbers are for the BitsyX with no peripherals connected (i.e. display, inverter, PCMCIA, Compact Flash, personality board and so on).

Also, the last paragrah of section 5.4.1 in the same manual states that the efficiency of the 5 V power supply is 85%. Is it the same for the 3.3 V power supply?

Emmmanuel

4 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2003 :  06:10:15  Show Profile
I'd like to know about the power consumption for the board at 'CPU at max' too.
Go to Top of Page

JAndle

3 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  17:50:30  Show Profile
So would I. has this REALLY gone unanswered since AUGUST?
Go to Top of Page

ninjo

38 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  21:22:55  Show Profile
I just went to measure it. I have a microdrive in my machine - which was not spinning during this measurement. I got 160ma at 12V.

I'd like to see ADS's official numbers too.

Go to Top of Page

ppsystems

14 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  14:53:00  Show Profile
I measured for an idle Bitsy-X, with nothing but a transflective lcd connected (no backlight needed) : 150 mA at 12V. It goes down to 90 mA with the display turned off, which is consistent with section 6.2.5 in the manual, but for our application we need to see the display, even if the Bitsy does nothing.

Sleep mode is 4 mA, and for "CPU at max" I measure about 30 mA extra (continuous math calculations).

I wonder if it is possible to get the Bitsy into "sleep" mode with the display still on, refreshing its last image, so only power is used to keep the display alive. Wakeup from sleepmode is very fast, so there would be no need to dissipate the 90 mA all the time.

Go to Top of Page

ppsystems

14 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  16:34:33  Show Profile
A PDA like the Ipaq 3970, running the pxa255, draws about 600 mW in continuos use with the display on. This is half the power of the Bitsy-X in idle mode with the display off (90mA x 12V). In idle mode the CPU clock is off, but all power supplies are on, and recovery is much faster than from sleep mode. I am very curious as to what power the different subsystems of the Bitsy-X consume, to see where the main differences with the pda lie. I have tried to turn off the audio and serial with the Power Test application without success. But even if it worked, I do not expect a major reduction. Is there any Bitsy-Plus [sic BitsyX] user who has tried this? My guess for the main power cosumer in idle mode is the sdram.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  12:31:36  Show Profile
Thanks for these details. We have a number of production customers who are successfully using the BitsyX in battery-powered applications, but your points are good ones.

We'll see if we can take a closer look at the BitsyX power consumption to see where this power is going. Thanks for your thinking on this.
Go to Top of Page

wireless_mcmaster

11 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  09:52:15  Show Profile
Hi all,

We are also going to measure the power consumption on our product using BitsyX. We have two questions. Can anyone help us out on them? Thank you very much!

Q1: The power cord that connects the BitsyX development kit with wired power socket has a special interface. We don't know how to switch that to other interfaces that can connect the board to a car battery. Is there any special power cord for this BityX board or should we make our own cord (if so, how to map those wires)? Thank you!

Q2: This question seems to be naive, but we are not sure about it. Can you tell me how you measure the power consumption? Just put a meter between the system and the power source for current and put another one to measure voltage? Thank you!

Wireless_mcmaster

Edited by - wireless_mcmaster on 14 Sep 2004 09:52:57
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000