All Forums
 Hardware
 Ethernet, IR, Serial, CAN and high speed data
 Enabling DHCP (incl. Aironet 350 wireless)
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

KnowledgeBase

296 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  14:24:31  Show Profile  Email Poster
Q: What do I need to do to automatically assign IP addresses using DHCP?

Do the following:
1. Set the EnableDHCP registry key in your TCPIP settings to "1".

2. Change the identification of your device from its current setting. It must be different from the OrigName key in the Ident registry key
Changing the identification tricks CE into believing you have uniquely named your device. This trick only works if you connect a single device with that name to your network. Note that evaluation systems shipped beginning May 2000 already change the identification from its original setting.

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  15:42:22  Show Profile  Email Poster
I set EnableDHCP registry key to "1", and reload adsload.reg, and my Ident key has the values as follows:

Name = "ADS_GMaster"
Desc = "ADS Graphic Master ..."
OrigName = "GMaster"

but I still cannot get an IP address from DHCP server !
Dose anyone has any idea?
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  17:59:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Renyi:

You might take a look at the [HKLM\Comm\SMC90001\Parms\TcpIp] key using RegEdit on your GMaster. If your system is correctly using DHCP, you'll see a half dozen entries beginning with "DHCP" (eg. DHCPIPAddress, DHCPSubnetMask, etc).

Another thing to check is that the cable and Ethernet switch are working correctly. The LED on your switch's RJ45 port should turn on when you insert the cable into your GMaster.

If DHCP isn't working for you, try setting a static IP address in the ADSLOAD.REG file (and if your IT department is stingy with IP addresses, just PING internal addresses from your PC till you find an unused one to use temporarily).

If you're still having trouble with static addresses, try one of the standard REG files for the GMaster or email us your adsload.reg file and we'll see if there's anything unusual about it.
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  20:52:13  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi, Andrew

Acturally, I am working with cisco aironet 350 wireless card. I checked the TcpIp registry key for cisco and found the half dozen entries beginning with "DHCP". When I compared them to those for smc9000 which worked well with DHCP, I found that except "DhcpIPAddress" key, all the others including "DhcpServer" key were the same. That means it succeeded in finding the DHCP server, but could not get an IP address.

I also tried static IP address. It worked well, but we have to use DHCP due to the requirements of our application.

Any idea?
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  12:13:16  Show Profile  Email Poster
Renyi, try disabling the onboard Ethernet controller. I've heard that the Aironet driver sometimes doesn't like to coexist with another Ethernet controller. The registry key to turn off the onboard Ethernet is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\SMC90001\Parms]
"DoNotInstall"=dword:0 ; 1=do not install Ethernet driver
Let us know how this works for you.
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  15:04:28  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Andrew,

Still no luck, it is the same as before. You know what? When I checked the DHCP server, I saw an entry containing the MAC address of my aironet card and an associated ip address. But why I did not receive that ip address? I just don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  19:37:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi, Andrew

I found the reason why. It was the DHCP server on our Linksys DSL router. Cause when I put another DHCP server in our LAN, everything worked fine.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  17:39:56  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi, Andrew

1. When I configured aironet with DHCP on GMaster, every time I reset system, it popped up a dialog box asking me to select between "Obtain an IP address via DHCP" and "Specify an IP address" though it had already been set in registry. Is it possible to get rid of this dialog box?

2. I found with satisfaction that GMaster sent DHCP request at a certain interval, so the aironet card can always (needn't restart the system) get an IP address whenever a DHCP server is active, which is important to our application. Is it possible for me to take control of that interval?
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  18:29:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Renyi. Our network was operating correctly here, so I suspected it was an issue with the access point or the DHCP server. Glad you tracked it down.

For the DHCP request interval, maybe one of the following keys would help:
[HKLM\Comm\Cisco1\Parms\TcpIp]
AutoInterval=dword:14
DHCPInitDelayInterval=dword:7D0
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  20:13:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi, Andrew

I upgraded my kernel from 3.21 to 3.30 and the dialog box's gone.

By the way, you are right. The aironet driver doesn't like to coexist with smc9000.
Go to Top of Page

vkoser

2 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  07:59:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
reguarding your answer to this question I think were having trouble with this. We seem to now have an issue with multiple boxes not wanting to get on the network at the same time and we get this message

"Error registering Name on network (may be duplicate) Change in communications control panel and try again"

Since were building hundreds and hundreds of these things I'd like to not have to set the Device name different on each box with a reflash using a unique adsload.reg. We never had trouble in our last build but we were using unix system for our samba share and it must not have cared about multiple like device names. The current windows network we are installing into doesn't like it though.

thanks
vince
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  11:21:50  Show Profile  Email Poster
For our readers...

Vince and I discussed this issue, and it looks like the error wasn't as much with DHCP as with Windows Networking, using a network server as a common file share for all their devices.

The strategy Vince was going to pursue was to create a unique device name for each device (possibly using the MAC address from the wireless card). In that way the network can distinguish between devices.

Vince, can you report back about its success?

Cheers, Drew
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  12:16:25  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi,

Does anybody know how to make Windows CE response to a broadcast "ping 192.168.1.255"? Cause I need to detect GMaster units (build 3.40 with wirless PCMCIA ethernet adaptor) when they come into range.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000