Visual Studio quirk?[running .NET app outside IDE]
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

ppsystems

14 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  13:27:22  Show Profile  Email Poster
Using Visual Studio 2003 with C# or VB.NET I ran into the following problem with a Bitsy-X (CE 4.10.36)

A program (i.e. hello world) runs when deployed from the IDE via ethernet. However, after saving it to flashfx disk and reboot (device), it does not execute anymore, unless I connect the IDE again via ethernet, and deploy something (anything) with it.

Only after reloading the system (nk.bin) will it run again without the IDE.

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  17:00:16  Show Profile  Email Poster
This sounds suspiciously like a version incompatibility. When you deploy, Studio is seeing the incompatibility and pushing down the CF install again, allowing your app to run. Can you try again with a new image like 4.20.08 and let us know if it does or doesn't fix the issue?

Also, are you using and service pack for the CF on your PC? If so, did you replace the Studio binaries with the newer ones (requires a manual file replacement on the PC), or are you still deploying the original binaries (default behavior).
Go to Top of Page

ppsystems

14 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  18:36:43  Show Profile  Email Poster
I tried 4.20.08, and it did not fix the problem (symptoms are identical to 4.10.36). But it did fix some other, unrelated problems!

As far as incompatibility is concerned: V.Studio DOES say (at deploy time): "Files in the package 'netcf.all.wce4.armv4t.cab' are more recent on the decice than on the PC. Consider updating". I'm not sure if Studio pushes those down, it goes pretty fast, and it always works after that (i.e. I can start the program from the device, as long as I don't reboot). Reinstalling CF (netcf.all.wce4.armv4t.cab) takes much longer, and does not make it work (execute from the device).

I have not used a service pack for CF.... I just tried CF service pack 2. It installs both on PC and device. No need, it seems, for a manual file replacement (?). Installation only succeeded once in seven tries, so I don't know yet what it will do.

Programs always run after reloading nk.bin (4.10.36 as well as 4.20.8)
Go to Top of Page

ppsystems

14 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  17:54:46  Show Profile  Email Poster
Quick update:
V.Studio does not push the files down that it claims are "more recent on the device". They still have the same date after deployment (using 4.20.8).

CF 1.0 SP2 installs on both the device and the development computer. Behavior is the same. There is no mention of a manual file replacement (?)
Go to Top of Page

Umberto

6 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  18:50:40  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am getting similar problem. I create a simple app with VS2003 in C#, I deploy and run it NO PROBLEM from within VS2003 (except for activesync not working most of the time, but that's another issue).

After rebooting , I can no longer run "helloworldInDotNet.exe" , even so the CF is supposd to be installed by default.

I tried copying and installing some of the .CAB files of the Compact FrameWork (although I should not have to). and in any case it still doesn't work.
I double click on "helloworldinDotNet.exe" and NOTHING happens.

Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  12:08:43  Show Profile  Email Poster
Try running DelCryptoKeysDevice.exe (it should be in the Windows folder of the device) and run the app again to see if it works. That will help us narrow this down.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000