DIP Switch Failure
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Patrick

34 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  16:59:37  Show Profile
Hi,
I've got a Bitsy Plus board that seems to lose it's mind about the DIP switch settings. Occasionally it will just bring up the debug menu instead of booting normally, or will try to do an upgrade from card, instead of running the start folder.
I'm going to pull it out of use and test it later on, but I was curious if this had happened before, and if you were interested in learning more.
Thanks, and have a good weekend!
-Patrick

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  10:50:04  Show Profile
Thanks for your note, Patrick. DIP switches can wear out over time, as their contacts are typically made for a limited number of operations.

To make sure a switch is making the desired contact in the ON position, you might also try sliding the switch back and forth a couple times in case any contamination got into the switch.

Finally, make sure you are gentle with the switches when moving them; pressing down too hard, say, with the tip of a pen, can deform the switch.

If you think the board needs to be repaired, we can always work on it here. I hope this information helps!
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  10:52:40  Show Profile
p.s. I've moved your note from "General CE" to the "General Hardware" forums so others looking for this kind of information will see your note.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  12:44:08  Show Profile
One added note - the debug output actually display the position that the device "sees" the switches in at boot. I often verify the reported position with the physical position when behavior becomes erratic.
Go to Top of Page

Patrick

34 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  10:59:28  Show Profile
Is it just me, or is it upside down? When both switches are off, then it shows 0x3, and 0x0 when both on.
This is on my Bitsy Plus, I should say.
What is the best mode for normal operation?
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  14:53:45  Show Profile
On the DIP switches, "ON" means that the switch is mechanically closed, creating an electrical short between the terminals of the switch.

When the switches are "OFF" (open), they read electrically as "1" because the switched inputs to the Bitsy Plus have pull-up resistors. When the switches are "ON" (closed), the switches read electrical "0" as the switched inputs are now shorted to ground.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000