What can cause Flash FX corruption
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Consultpinnacle

29 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  04:24:53  Show Profile  Email Poster
One of the devices that we have developed using the AGX has encountered a strange error.
the device has been used in automotive testing (i.e. my car with a 12v battery).

It seems that an area of the flash has become corrupt, our software creates log file for debugging purposes and report OS error messages.

2 of log files contain: 'Error in DiskOk' repeatedly
1 of the log files contains: 'Controller:GetNextReading: -System.IO.IOException:IOException'

Each log file relates to each application that is running. Each application creates files on the flash fx disk that are parsed by other applications. They are currently unable to create any files.

I would like to understand what could cause errors on the flash fx disk from an electrical perspective, power cycling, earthing etc and what steps we can take to prevent this. I will not re-format the flash-fx disk at the moment as i would like to see if the issue can be resolved another less heavy handed way.

Thanks

Graham Libaert

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  16:27:47  Show Profile  Email Poster
Looking back at this request, I see this was a missed opportunity to discuss vehicular power supplies.

The Hazards of Vehicular Power Supplies

Automotive and truck power buses are quite volatile, dropping very low during cranking (especially in cold weather) and spiking two or even three times the battery voltage, depending on system wiring.

There are many hazards when working with vehicle power buses. To power electronics from a vehicle power bus, you should use heavy-grade filtering, spike protection, and possibly even capacitance.

In this case, it's not entirely clear what the source of the problem was. The original flash disk driver we used on the AGX was subject to corruption if the system was reset while writing to flash. The later Reliance/FlashFX Pro driver could repair corruption that came from power interruptions. The driver was used in AGX builds in 2005; see topic 1288 for history.

Potential Causes of Flash Disk Failure

The title of this topic is such that I will summarize potential causes of flash disk failure here for future reference:
  • Flash disk is interrupted while writing (system is reset or power cycled)
  • (less likely) Reliance/FlashFX Pro gets interrupted while creating errors that occurred on the last boot cycle.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000