VGX::Ethernet 10/100 Auto Negotiation Failure
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

ims

1 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2004 :  19:14:21  Show Profile  Email Poster
I'm bootstrapping a VGX board, and ran into a problem.
Connected the ethernet into a 10mbit port, and did not receive
the link LED. Plugged into a 10/100 port, worked ok. Plugged
into a different 10/100 port and it failed.

I noticed a similar posting on the BitsyX board - I assume this
is a driver issue that requires fixing.

Thanks - Terry Domae
IMS

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2004 :  10:19:07  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Terry. Thanks for your note.

We're not aware of any auto-negotiation issues with the VGX Ethernet at the present, but there's always a first time . The issue could be related to hardware, or it could be a Linux driver issue.

I've moved your question from the "Ethernet, IR, Serial, CAN and high speed data" forum to the "Linux Open Discussion" forum, since it looks like you're using a Debian VGX system we recently shipped you. We should probably start with the Linux drivers in our investigations.

If we can't resolve the issue in software, we might ask you for details about the hubs or switches you are using so we can try to reproduce the issue here.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  16:41:29  Show Profile  Email Poster
Update

We found that both the AGX and VGX had an issue in which they would not connect to some Ethernet switches. We have made a change to the AGX and VGX Ethernet interface circuits that has resolved the issue.

If you experience an Ethernet connection problem with AGX or VGX, email us with details and we'll be glad to look into it. Thanks to Terry for spotting this issue.
Go to Top of Page

sundog

15 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  01:12:12  Show Profile  Email Poster
I have tested 5 RevA BitsyX boards w/ Eth personality plugged into three models of ethernet switch (DLink DSS16+, Linksys EF4124, Parvis PC104). All boards have the ethernet capacitor fix. I am running a somewhat-recent kernel v2.4.19 and have tried both the SMC91x and SMC91111 drivers.

Observing the ethernet lines with a scope, in all cases the ethernet has a *lot* of noise on it. When I plug the BitsyX into a 10baseT hub there is no noise and I can observe individual packets. I am assuming the noise is related to autonegotiation. (I can provide scope screenshots if anyone is interested.)

This has not typically been a problem for us. We can transmit and receive ethernet packets to/from the BitsyX in most cases. Unfortunately, I've had a few cases where packet loss reached 100%, thereby rendering the ethernet link unusable.

Disabling autonegotiation in the drivers has cleared the noise from the ethernet line in all cases.

Update: I edited the Linux SMC91X kernel driver to disable autonegotiation. In the three weeks since, I have not observed a problem with lost packets.

Edited by - sundog on 24 Apr 2005 18:12:17
Go to Top of Page

alkey3

6 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  22:20:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
Reviewing this topic and the VGX hardware topic "topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1548#Off-board_Ethernet" leads to the question:

I am wondering where the setting is to force the VGX ethernet to 10Mbs mode? Is this a Registry Key? I am running WinCE 4.2 OS.

I am using J9 on the VGX to route off-board ethernet connectivity.

Thanks, Al...><>

Edited by - alkey3 on 21 Apr 2005 22:22:07
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  10:26:40  Show Profile  Email Poster
Sure. Take a look at topic 1810.
Go to Top of Page

rnreddy

3 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  10:55:56  Show Profile  Email Poster
Several of us in my development group are running into a problem similar to sundog's. We are running CE 4.2. I've also made sure the cap fix has been made. How would we go about turning off the autonegotiation and changing the speed to 10Mbps. I didnt't have any luck going through the registry like with the AGX/VGX boards. I tried adding the keys anyway and this had no effect.

Thanks
Rakesh
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000