All Forums
 Hardware
 General Hardware, ADSmartIO, Digital I/O and A/Ds
 Multiple PCMCIA slots - Two WiFi NICs (BitsyX)
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

nesscg

4 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  10:53:50  Show Profile  Email Poster
Is there a way to expand the PCMCIA slots on the BitsyX board?

Perhaps a daughter board, or a replacement for the current connector to expand it? Or does Applied Data have products with multiple PCMCIA slots.

The best solution would perhaps be a daughter board with a wireless chip and antenna connection. Does such a beast exist?

Cheers,
Chris

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  11:29:34  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Chris. Thanks for your note. The XScale CPU supports up to two PCMCIA/CF slots. We use either the SA-1111 or custom logic to multiplex the data and control signals to connect to the two slots.

As you've noted, the BitsyX has a PCMCIA slot. Users who need an additional slot typically order the CompactFlash personality board. If you need a single-board solution (which is usually more cost effective), I'd direct you to the AGX or VGX, which each have the CF bus signals available for use on a second card. We don't currently manufacture products with onboard 802.11 chipsets.

Since your question isn't specifically about Linux, I've moved your question to the hardware forum. Let us know how we can be of further assistance.
Go to Top of Page

nesscg

4 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  10:46:57  Show Profile  Email Poster
quote:
[i]Originally posted by akidder[/i]
[br]As you've noted, the BitsyX has a PCMCIA slot. Users who need an additional slot typically order the CompactFlash personality board. If you need a single-board solution (which is usually more cost effective), I'd direct you to the AGX or VGX, which each have the CF bus signals available for use on a second card. We don't currently manufacture products with onboard 802.11 chipsets.

So how does the personality board (we have the RJ-45 edition with our dev kit) have the CF slot recognized and used by the kernel? Does it just happen with existing code on boot or are there some chips conditioning the signals coming from the personality board onto the pins of the BitsyX?

Would it be possible to buy/build something that would meet the interface specs for CF on the personality board, but not require all the other components?

Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

jlackey

213 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  11:16:03  Show Profile  Email Poster
During start up, the operating system determines (at run time, not compile time) which type of connector board is present: CF, Ethernet, or Ethernet + QuadUART. (For Linux, see arch/arm/mach-pxa/adsbitsyx.c.)

The BitsyX design is intended to support customized personality boards although the three standard ones satisfy most needs. Software modifications may also be neccessary depending on your specific hardware.

Contact Tech Support to begin a discussion of your specific requirements.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000