Keypad Scan (BitsyX)
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

jbeal

2 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  13:42:27  Show Profile  Email Poster
We have a 5x5 keypad matrix we need to interface to. The bitsyX manual indicates up to a 4x5 matrix. There are other I/O lines available for use with the matrix and the ADSmartIO docs indicate a mode 1 setting that has up to a 7x7 matrix.

Can the BitsyX be made to scan the matrix in this way, or should I take a totally different approach?

Thanks

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  14:15:25  Show Profile  Email Poster
The BitsyX is set up for a keypad up to 4x5. A larger keypad scan might be possible, but would probably require reconfiguration of the board hardware and an addition to the ADSmartIO firmware. It could be cost-effective if you're headed toward volume production.

Another option might be to implement your own keypad scan with the XScale digital I/Os. There are ten IOs available (EIO0-EIO9) that are located on headers J3 and J10. If you ran the scan on a software timer, overhead could be fairly low.

Let us know how we can help.
Go to Top of Page

jbeal

2 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  14:43:24  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks,

I'll look at implementing my own keypad routine. Since this is battery operated, I did have another idea that might work. I could use a Phillips PA9535 I2C I/O port expander. It has interrupt capability, so I wouldn't need to scan all the time and could wake the system on keypress.

That leads to another question. Since the manual suggests not to use the ADSmartIO I2C port, does your I2C test code for the RTC and temperature use the Xscale I2C port?

Regards,
John

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000