EXEs won't start
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

rsrumrill

20 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  18:16:29  Show Profile  Email Poster
I'm using Visual Studio 2003 to write VB.NET onto a VGX board. I've used exactly this same setup on competing boards, always with good sucess. My new development is complete, I've constantly operated in debug mode, no problems.

Now I've moved the resulting EXE to the FlashFX disk. The application executes fine - until I cycle the power, thereafter it will not launch.

I've tried numerous fixes and I've seen plenty of strange things. After copying the EXE to the FlashFX disk, it sometimes disappears after a restart. Other times the FlashFX has several "C" files in it. Once the disk was full of folders. Sometimes the EXE's icon becomes generic. I've tried reformating flashFX, still no luck.

I get similar results from using a CF (launches after development, no launch after restart).

What's going on? I can't do all this development, then not be able to launch the application.

Build = CE.NET 4.20.24 and 4.20.27

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  09:41:52  Show Profile  Email Poster
Does the EXE have any referenced libraries? Studio will push them down automatically when you deploy, and when you cycle power they will likely be lost.
Go to Top of Page

rsrumrill

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  13:19:30  Show Profile  Email Poster
I've already checked for referenced libraries. There are none. The only difference between the pre-reset windows directory and the post-reset version are several files related to the debugging environment of VS.

The bigest clues I have is as follows

A. I've written a new simple helloworld progam, same behavior.
B. If I copy a known good program like regedit, from the windows directory to the FlashFX disk. It will behave the same. Before restart - it's ok, after restart it's corrupt, icon is generic and it won't launch. Same as my programs.

I've also seen dissappearing files from the FlashFX disk, Even without a restart, I can copy/paste files, but they don't "stick".

Also, if I avoid the FlashFX disk and put my files onto a CF, the files seem to remain uncorrupted, yet they still don't launch after a restart.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  14:16:02  Show Profile  Email Poster
This reminds me of a problem I had...Topic 1140.

I believe the 'disk full of empty folders' problem went away with the new build.
Go to Top of Page

rsrumrill

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  14:18:48  Show Profile  Email Poster
More clues.

I went to reformat the FlashFX disk. Moments before, I had three items in it, an empty Statup folder, my helloworld program, and regedit. When going to the ADS Persistent Storage control panel, it reported the disk is 97% full. Another look at the disk shows its full of hundreds of files named "C" with an accent below.

Build is CE 4.20.24

I now see that the serial port dump is showing an error

---- section ----
CADSFileOnBoardFlash::SetFilePointer failed 80000PC
CADSFileOnBoardFlash : read m_length failed
REG_Init::ParseF.ParseFile() failed
Could not open FLASH Driver.
LoadREGFile: Could not open FLASH Driver.
---- end ----
Go to Top of Page

rsrumrill

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  15:07:13  Show Profile  Email Poster
Ok, I started with a virgin new VGX

1. Power up
2. Serial dump shows Flash drive is succesfully loaded
3. Change TCP settings to match Visual Studio settings
4. Save Registry settings with ADS Persistent Registry contol panel
5. Deploy small helloworld program to VGX.
6. Run it - ok
7. Cycle power
8. serial dump shows "Could not open Flash Driver" (details is previous post)
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000