CE Drivers
 VGX: Custom USB HID Driver port 4.2 to 5.0
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

85 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  18:03:48  Show Profile  Email Poster
So, I have an USB HID driver I came up with for CE 4.20, largely based on the sample HID driver. We're in the position of needing to get it working with CE 5.0. I have two issues:

1) Using the generic HID driver. CE 5.0 now has enough generic HID support that it registers our device as HID1:. This is fine with me, as then I don't need to support my own custom driver. I can't however talk to our board via it. The stream interface (read/write) isn't supported as it is on XP; neither is the other API I rely on in XP "HidD_SetFeature()" calls. The other HID APIs exposed for dealing with reports in CE look like driver / kernel calls, not application level calls. Not sure how I'd use them to talk to our device in any case...

2) Using our driver. I can juggle the registry keys a bit and get our driver to answer the DeviceAttach notification. All seems to work except the call to ActivateDevice which returns Error code #1 ("Incorrect Function"). I'm thinking this error code is misleading, as if I pass the function bogus registry key, I get error code #1610 (“The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel.”). I haven't spent too much time on this, but I'm running out of ideas.

Any ideas?

85 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  14:09:29  Show Profile  Email Poster
So, we still need help here. I've determined that what's going on is that DeviceManager wants to call the "Init" and "Deinit" functions, not the XXX_Init and XXX_Deinit functions as one would expect when specifying the "Prefix" and "Index" registry values. Looking at the new DeviceManger code in CE 5.0 (which, BTW, looks like a fairly major rewrite compared to 4.20), it looks like the only causes for this would be the 'Flags' value of DEVFLAGS_NAKEDENTRIES or a missing 'Prefix' value. My 'Flags' are set to 0, and there is indeed a 'Prefix' key, so I can't figure out why it's doing this.

By defining the "Init" and "Deinit" functions, I can get my driver loaded and initialized; it even enumerates my USB device on the bus. Unfortunately, if a 'Name' isn't registered under the 'Active' key (via the prefix/index combo (eg. "COM1:")), there's no way to access the stream driver via CreateFile, so I'm still hosed...
Go to Top of Page

85 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  17:31:11  Show Profile  Email Poster
OK, I'm guessing the problem is in the ADS registry driver. When I read the 'Prefix' key, it has the correct contents, but the wrong length (12 bytes, not 8). The DeviceManager code only reads 8 bytes, so the RegQueryKey call fails and the prefix is zeroed out.

The 8 bytes are for four wide chars: 3 for the prefix, on for a null term. For example, the registry setting in ADSLOAD.reg

"Prefix"="ABC"

yeilds a string value of length 12, not 8.

I can work around it for now by writing the 'Prefix' value programmatically in my driver.

Edited by - 3963 on 31 Jul 2006 17:39:47
Go to Top of Page

bsamuels

53 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  16:19:05  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for the details. Our software group is currently looking at this and we will update this topic when it is resolved.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000