Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  17:32:23  Show Profile  Email Poster
WCELOAD.EXE Syntax and Silent CAB file Installs

Microsoft has posted the syntax for the CAB file installer, WCELOAD.EXE. Take a look at this MSDN post.

Of particular note to ADS developers are the parameters for unattended/silent operation. If you are installing drivers or files from a CAB file at boot, you proably will want to use syntax like the following:

wceload /nodelete /silent /nouninstall "\FlashFX Disk\driver_install.cab"

This will not prompt the user for input and will not delete the CAB file when done (the CAB file will be there the next time the system boots).

You'll see that the notes currently posted (30-Nov-2006) are a bit inconsistent (nodelete and silent options from the example aren't defined in the text), but it should get us all moving in the right direction.

Further Reading
CAB files (topic index)

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  17:52:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
To further confuse things there are also the flags /noui and /noaskdest. The availability of these woefully undocumented flags for wceload actually changes across CE versions. For example CE 4.2 and earlier did not support /silent (which I believe was a new addition in 5.0). I'm not sure if /noui or /noaskdest carried forward.

wceload's internal behavior shifted in 5.0 as well. As an example, if you attempt to chain installs together using a wait on the earlier process handle to kick of a subsequent install, you'll likely see failures where you get an infinite hang. The best workarounf I've found is to use the toolhelp APIs to see if the wceload process has exited before continuing.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000