ActiveSync and GCX; using direct TCP/IP
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

jeffyech

22 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  23:46:30  Show Profile  Email Poster
I recently purchased a GCX development system and now I'm in the process of trying to connect with activesync. I’m using the correct cables and com port (which I setup in control panel) but the connection fails. I start activesync, and then repllog.exe. I get the connected sound and then repllog.exe hangs. The repllog dialog displays user authorized, but fails to connect further--any suggestions?

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  00:24:16  Show Profile  Email Poster
What version of ActiveSync? And are you trying to use this for sync, or just for debugging? If it's for debugging, I'd recommend abandoning ActiveSync and using direct ethernet debugging. It's faster and a *lot* less headache.
Go to Top of Page

jeffyech

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  08:52:39  Show Profile  Email Poster
I tried several versions of activesync, the latest being 4.5. I was trying to connect and establish a partnership first, then use ethernet debugging.

My win CE ver is 5.0.
Go to Top of Page

jeffyech

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  11:19:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
I tried direct ethernet debugging and it was very easy to use, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2008 :  10:11:48  Show Profile  Email Poster
ActiveSync is quick to connect and use...when it works. We'll take a look at why you might be having trouble with ActiveSync with your GCX development system.

OpenNetCF's article is thorough and helpful for your case. If you'd like the short version, or want to know how the connection is set up, take a look at the notes we have posted at topic 25. If you haven't already seen it, the ActiveSync topic index has links that may also help. You might even see where a few OpenNetCF members got their start....

For clarity to future forum readers, I've updated the forum topic from "ActiveSync" to include the content we discussed.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2008 :  12:56:04  Show Profile  Email Poster
Topic 25 covers ethernet debugging with a manual PlatMan connection, which is fine for eVC.

Studio, however, uses CoreCon as a transport layer and the PlatMan instructions (i.e. running cemgrce.exe on the device) unfortunately won't work. Instead you have to run conmanclient2.exe (and possibly tcpaccept.exe depending on the security config on the device).

To make it even more fun, the CoreCon files are incompatible across versions, so if you have Studio '05 RTM on the PC, the device must have the RTM pieces. If you have SP1, the device must as well. If you install Studio '08, it again updates (overwrites) the CoreCon stuff on the PC, so the pieces that shipped with Studio '05 will no longer work.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2008 :  13:25:19  Show Profile  Email Poster
...and if I'd been paying more attention, I would have seen all of this in your posted source code. Thanks, Chris!
Go to Top of Page

jeffyech

22 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  15:17:54  Show Profile  Email Poster
Is there a perfered method of connection. i.e. hub, direct or switch?
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  13:05:58  Show Profile  Email Poster
Any will work. It's TCP/IP. You'll need a cross-over cable if you connect directly.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000