How to attach HDD via J24 PATA interface
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

trekds

8 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  14:26:01  Show Profile
Can we use Samtec TCSD (TCSD-25-D-20.00-01-D08) cable to attach a hard drive to Catalyst development system?

Thank you.

grenierm

133 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  15:52:38  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi trekds,

Thanks for your question. Here are some data points to help you make your decision on which IDE Cable to choose:
- In our Catalyst EC Development Kits we use: Samtec TMM-125-03-T-D
- The datasheet for the TCSD-25-D-20.00-01-D08 has two points of concern:
1. It makes no mention of the UDMA protocol it uses (Catalyst EC Development Kit uses UDMA5)
2. The 'Daisy Chain" configuration may cause problems due a difference in minimum width. If you are not using the Daisy Chain configuration, then you can ignore this comment.
Go to Top of Page

trekds

8 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  08:50:22  Show Profile
Please recommend proper cable/connector.

Catalyst EC User Manual says: “Mating connector: IDC socket cable assembly, Samtec TCSD series” so UDMA protocol should match. Is this correct?

Thank you.

Edited by - trekds on 05 Jan 2010 08:50:43
Go to Top of Page

grenierm

133 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  10:07:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
Use the following combination for HDD connection via J24 on the Catalyst EC Carrier board:

- Cable: Samtec TCSD-25-D-04.00-01-F-N-R (50 pin connector on both ends.)
- Connector: SAMTEC TMM-125-03-L-D

Go to Top of Page

trekds

8 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  11:59:35  Show Profile
Dear grenierm:

Two more questions –
- You have recommended 4” long cable. Is there a problem with a longer one (20” was my original intent)
- What is notch polarization? Do we really need it?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

grenierm

133 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  14:17:17  Show Profile  Email Poster
Regarding your questions:
- We have successfully tested with up to 6" cable lengths. We have never tested with a 20" cable on the Catalyst EC. (However, I will mention that on the Catalyst Module Development Kit, we successfully used a 24" cable, although that operates on UDMA2 vs. UDMA5 for Catalyst EC)
- Notch Polarization refers to the physical constraint (notch on the header) to ensure that the cable header is inserted into the connector with the correct orientation. Technically, this is optional but is typically 'strongly recommended' as without it you obviously run the risk of incorrect orientation.
Go to Top of Page

trekds

8 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  07:59:25  Show Profile
Sorry, I’m confused again.

This statement from “Catalyst EC User Manual”:

>>Header J24 conforms to the PATA Standard supporting an optional 2.5-inch PATA magnetic or solid-state disk drive.<<

tells me I can attach 2.5” laptop disk drive. Is this correct? Neither laptop disk drive nor J24 have notch polarization.

What is the intended usage for J24?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Edited by - trekds on 06 Jan 2010 08:14:51
Go to Top of Page

grenierm

133 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  10:07:47  Show Profile  Email Poster
No worries, we're here to help.

Regarding your questions:
- Yes. You can use a 2.5" laptop disk drive.
- True. Header J24 does not have notch polarization. However, the cable connector has notch polarization as it comes standard from the manufacturer this way. As I mentioned previously, it is not required to have notch polarization and it appears that the Catalyst EC J24 connector does not support it.
- The intended usage of header J24 is to provide support for booting the Catalyst EC Dev Kit from a hard disk. It sounds like you are on the right track.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000