General Hardware, ADSmartIO, Digital I/O and A/Ds
 Serial Numbers
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

cfebbert

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2002 :  17:37:27  Show Profile
Does ADS electronically serialize their boards so that each board has a unique serial number? If so, is this unique id accessible programatically?
Have a great day!
Christopher

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  09:05:09  Show Profile
Hi Christopher. Sorry we didn't respond to your query sooner.

Every system does have a unique serial number; it's labeled on the underside of the board. The curent serial number format is "xxxx yyyy" where the first four digits are the lot number and the second four are the serial number. The serial number is not currently recorded on the system electronically, so it's not accessible programmatically.

For systems that have Ethernet, the best solution is to use the MAC address of the board as a unique identifier. The MAC address is a unique, 6-byte identifier used in the 802.3 Ethernet protocol to identify each piece of hardware on the network. Each ADS product with Ethernet installed gets its own MAC address programmed into an onboard EEPROM.

The Windows CE Ethernet driver currently stores the MAC address in the registry as follows:
  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\SMC90001\Parms\]
NetworkAddress="(MAC address)"
The MAC address is stored in xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx string format, where each xx is a hexadecimal representation of one byte in the address. The right-most digit is the LSB.

-----------------------
Drew Kidder
ADS Technology Transfer
Go to Top of Page

ms08233

17 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2002 :  16:46:48  Show Profile
I don't have a NetworkAddress key under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\SMC90001\Parms\
on my GC+.

I do have DoNotInstall(=0), BusNumber, BusType, InterruptNumber, InterruptVector, and IoBaseAddress keys.

Does this indicate I have something wrong?
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  11:04:24  Show Profile
For newer ADS devices, see Topic 1242.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000