Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

MLong

19 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  13:04:24  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hello.

We are about to do a proof of concept involving the use of T2Speech on the Bitsy. We're wondering if eVB is a suitable choice for this considering it is not compiled. Also the lack of fundamental, common
language features we're used to is a serious drawback. My expertise is Visual Basic, from VB1 to .NET. I read fluent C/C++ and in fact maintain a few large packages that are a mixture of C/C++. I say this since the first obvious response might be for us to *use* C/C++ for this project but that is currently not our preferred core for numerous reasons. Can any eVB experts (or general experts) shed some light based on the general intention laid out here? My current understanding is CE4 and .NET could be used if utilizing Smart Device Extensions. This would allow for comprehensive VB.Net development but the fact that Compact Framework is in BETA is a drawback.

Thanks.

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  17:25:54  Show Profile  Email Poster
Windows CE has a few options for Text-to-Speech, depending on your specific CE version and how you want to implement it. See this topic for more information.

In any case, it's unlikely that eVB will provide a good environment for calling the APIs necessary. eVB's handling of APIs, especially complex ones, is rather convoluted and it has no support for callbacks.

VB.NET will likely be your best bet. It is still officially a Beta product, but Microsoft has RTM'd it, so it is very unlikely that it will change, especially at the interface level. In fact with their "GoLive" agreement, you can start shipping .NET applications today.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000