All Forums
 Microsoft Windows CE
 CE Drivers
 Support "pen" or "keychain" USB storage?
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

doctalk

13 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  17:43:37  Show Profile  Email Poster
We're thinking of having our end users use these disk-on-key (keychain/pen) storage devices with your boards. Here's some links I pulled off the web. We haven't decided exactly which ones to go with:

http://www.diskonkey.com/
http://store.yahoo.com/dvd-rwmedia/usbdrive.html
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/learnmore/learnmore_diskonkey_notebooks_inspn.htm

Do your boards support them? We're using CE.

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  17:46:20  Show Profile  Email Poster
Sure. While CE 3.0 doesn't have built-in support for these devices, CE.NET does. Any of our boards with one or more USB client (downstream) ports (Graphics Master, Bitsy, Bitsy Plus, AGC, Display Master, etc) will work with these little wonders.

Here is a list of devices we have successfully tested here at ADS:

ManufacturerSize(s)
M-Systems128MB, 8MB
Sony64MB

If you have found a device that doesn't work, please e-mail us and let us know the manufacturer and size of the device.

modified Apr 30, 03 (ctacke) - added list of supported devices
Go to Top of Page

madav

15 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  10:16:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
I tried using the storage devices mentioned above, (Polaroid 64MB USB Flash drive) on a Bitsy + Monochrome + CE.net (build 4.12) configuration. Sadly, the bitsy failed to recognize the USB device, when it was plugged in.
Are there any special .dll's that I need to load to have the Bitsy recoganize the USB device.

Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  13:25:42  Show Profile  Email Poster
BitsyPlus, CE.NET image 4.12, ROM 1.77 also does not recognize the Polaroid 64MB USB Flash drive.

I'm assuming that the existence of this device will be manifested similarly to how it is manifested on the PC - it will appear as another icon under My Computer.

The LED on the USB device does flash when it is inserted into the BitsyPlus's port.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  13:41:47  Show Profile  Email Poster
I just checked with a BitsyPlus runing build 4.12 using a 128MB USB Storage device (no idea what brand, it's not marked). Once recognized it will show up in the device root (same level as "Storage Card" or "FlashFX Disk") as "Hard Disk".

The larger the device the longer it takes to show up. The 128MB I'm using takes ~10 seconds to show up.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  14:26:57  Show Profile  Email Poster
I've had my Polaroid 64MB USB FlashDrive inserted into the USB port for approximately 11 minutes. I have even 'forced' a refresh of the 'My Computer' screen (as opposed to relying on it to refresh itself after recognizing the USB).

I believe the only way I'll get the "Hard Disk" icon to appear on that screen is to take out my big box of Crayola crayons and start drawing.

This particular USB storage device comes with an option to password protect part of the device. Is this option unique to this device, or is this common among all such devices? Could this option be causing the difficulty?

Would you please provide a list of tried and tested USB storage devices?
Go to Top of Page

tempo

26 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  14:40:09  Show Profile  Email Poster
I too have tried with two usb flash drives and neither of them work. Please post a list of supported drives.
Thanks
Paul
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  14:42:13  Show Profile  Email Poster
I've not seen a device that had the option to protect part of it, which may be the probelm here. I suppose it's possible that your device uses a special driver that CE doesn't support.

After a bit more research I found that the device I'm using is an M-Systems Disk-on-key device. I have also successfully used an M-Systems 8MB Disk-on-key.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  14:56:10  Show Profile  Email Poster
I've added a table of tested devies above. We'll update this table as we test additional devices.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2003 :  18:14:02  Show Profile  Email Poster
Follow-up

Susan, Madav and Paul have tried different brand "keychain" USB devices and have had success. They may send the non-functioning devices to us for analysis. We suspect that CE may not support the encryption features of some of these products.

If you have a device that's not working, email us details about the device and we'll see how we can best help get your product to market.
Go to Top of Page

madav

15 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  15:42:15  Show Profile  Email Poster
Though I have my USB storage card working, it acts very flaky. The Bitsy that I use detects the USB drive only if it is there during the inital bootup. And if the USB device is removed and re-insterted again (with the Bitsy device is powered-on), it is detected after an appx 1 min delay during some instances and never detected at others and the device freezes. Thus causing my applications to hang.

I am wondering if this a purely Bitsy problem or if it is a .Net issue as Susan has her Bitsy Plus + .Net detecting the USB storage device every time, though after a long delay.

The other thing that I wanted to bring to ADS's notice is that I read in one of the microsoft user groups that by varying a register value the time taken to recoganize the device could be reduced.

****************************************************************************************
#define CLIENT_REGKEY_SZ
TEXT("Drivers\\USB\\ClientDrivers\\Mass_Storage_Class")

#define RESET_TIMEOUT_SZ TEXT("ResetTimeout")
#define COMMAND_BLOCK_TIMEOUT_SZ TEXT("CommandBlockTimeout")
#define COMMAND_STATUS_TIMEOUT_SZ TEXT("CommandStatusTimeout")

it is dword value. default (if there is no) is 4000 ms. If you think it is too long, please reduce it.

**********************************************************************************

It would be nice if you could throw some light into it

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Patrick

34 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  10:34:38  Show Profile  Email Poster
No one has said anything on this for a while, but it has become a concern for us again. Has anyone had any luck with any certain device? We had been using the M-Systems one, but the minute delay in being recognized by the OS is killing us. The JumpDrive TRIO works quickly and nicely, but the removable card will be a problem for our customer.
We just tried the regular Lexar JumpDrive, but the devices are killed after only one visit with a Bitsy+ board, and never seem to work again. (They continue to work on PCs, however)
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  10:54:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for your note, Patrick. We've had success using a number of USB storage devices, but time-to-enumeration has been one of a number of issues that have persisted.

The latest news is that we now know that CE USB driver is the culprit, and has a number of issues that can be fixed (at a price). Generally speaking, there are tradeoffs with the existing driver: it can be optimized for use under a number of different conditions, but it is not a strong, general-purpose driver.

We know that the USB function driver in CE.NET 5.0 has been rewritten and takes care of many of these issues, but release of 5.0 isn't expected till late this year. Feel free to contact us directly if you would like to discuss options for your production orders.

Cheers, Drew
Go to Top of Page

gatanui

1 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  15:25:21  Show Profile  Email Poster
It's mentioned in Topic 1429, but I could not get a CompUSA-branded USB v1.1 Flash Drive (16MB) to appear in CE .NET ... goofy drivers, I guess.

However, my PNY Attache USB 2.0 Flash Drive (512 MB) appears to work fine. There is a delay on plug-in that will be handled in my application.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000