Emulation (Targeting x86 EM) in eVC 4.0
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Patrick

34 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  20:51:18  Show Profile  Email Poster
Two quick questions on this Saturday of work. What would stop my eVC 4.0 from being able to target the emulator? Is there a missing SDK? I couldn't find one anywhere. It's on the list, but greyed out. I assume it would hook into the Emulator from VS.NET 2003, but it doesn't.
Is there anyway to make VS.NET 2003 build for CE.NET? I couldn't find it, at least not for C++.
Thanks,
-Patrick

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  22:18:05  Show Profile  Email Poster
The emulator is an available "SDK" by default. You must, however, select it as a target when you first create your project for it to be selectable as a target for the application.

eVC does *not* target the same emulator as Studio 2003 but it can target a CE 4.x emulation device.

Studio 2003 doesn't need any special changes to target CE.NET. In fact assemblies compiled for the CF will run on PPC, CE 4.1 or even the desktop. To use a CE.NET emulator from studio select "Windows CE Device" as the project target when you create it (you can also change the project deployment settings after creation).
Go to Top of Page

Patrick

34 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  17:46:55  Show Profile  Email Poster
I've gone through every window, menu and box in Visual Studio 2003, and I can't find any way to compile VC++ code for CE, or the framework (which I thought was just for VB and C# anyway). I'm expecting it to be right at the begining, when first starting a project, but am presented only with obvious desktop choices, like Win32 console, and .NET projects. When working with VB and C#, I see the Smart Device option, which compiles for the CF, but I can't find anything similiar for C++.
For eVC 4.0, the options for emulation are listed as targets when creating, but are greyed out.
It seems to me I have a bit of missing platform information. My eVC 3.0 still operated correctly, compiling for ARM and x86 and emulating fine, but I would feel better using something intended for .NET.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  18:21:13  Show Profile  Email Poster
If you have Studio 03 installed, you should have the otion for a "Smart Device" project. If you choose that, then you will get another wizard asking what tartet type you want and what type of assembly (DLL, EXE, etc).

You are correct that from Studio '03, you can only use VB.NET or C#. If you want to use C++, you must use eVC 4.0. I'm a bit confused though, as eVC 4.0 is *only* for CE.NET development and you seem to think it is for other versions of CE as well.
Go to Top of Page

Patrick

34 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  22:55:01  Show Profile  Email Poster
I have a few thousand lines of eVB code that I need to convert to C++ in the next 2 weeks. We've moved to CE.NET for all of our Bitsy Plus boards. I am not happy with VB.NET. In my mind, this path means that I need to make eVC 4.0 function correctly, and I'd like it to work with emulation as well, just to speed up the process some.
Sorry for the confusion. I am reformatting my dev box now, and only putting on the current versions of tools, to see if that helps my situation.

Go to Top of Page

sjstaats

2 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  15:32:58  Show Profile  Email Poster
I would like to run my CE.NET project in an emulator on my desktop PC. Using eVC 4.0, I select File / New / Projects / WCE MFC AppWizard (.exe). The only available CPU target is Win32 (WCE ARMV4I) which we use for our BitsyX development system. I assume the right choice for desktop emulation would be Win32 (WCE emulator), but this is grayed out in the list. In the earlier discussion of this topic I see that this option should be available by default, so it seems like I must be missing something. I would appreciate any suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  15:37:08  Show Profile  Email Poster
To use the emulator you must install the "Standard SDK". The installation is available on the eVC 4.0 CD in the SDK folder.
Go to Top of Page

sjstaats

2 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  11:30:13  Show Profile  Email Poster
I installed the Standard SDK, and it went smoothly -- now I can target Win32 (WCE emulator) for new projects. However, after doing this, and compiling an empty test project built by following the WCE MFC AppWizard (exe), when I try to run the executable (either debug or release), I get the error message "Cannot find a default device. Please create one from the Platform Manager." When I run Configure Platform Manager from the Tools menu, I see a device called "STANDARDSDK Emulator", and I can establish a connection to it by going under Properties, Test. There is also a device under the category Windows CE .NET Default Platform called "Default Device", but I have not found any combination of settings or properties that allow me to successfully test a connection to it. I would welcome any tips you might have.
Go to Top of Page

Instron

8 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  15:34:00  Show Profile  Email Poster
Can I use WinCE emulator to test serial port read/write threads? I have a dumb terminal connected to COM1.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  17:20:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
Microsft says "yes" but I've never had any luck mapping the PC's serial ports to the emulator's.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000