Error Deploying from VS.net 2003
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Raleigh

7 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  11:30:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
I'm able to connect to my device with active sync over serial, and over ethernet - but when I try to debug/deploy from my VS.Net IDE - I get the following messages in the VS.Net Status bar:

[Status Bar]
copying netcf.all.wce4.armv4t.cab
Finish deploying netcf.all.wce4.armv4t.cab

[On CE.net device]
Compact framework already installed. Reinstall?
(Choosing Ok - tells me that there is not enough space in the directory - so I specify a 512 M storage card - BTW: there are 2 512's connected to the system).
I also have my deployment directory (in VS.net project properties) specified to deploy onto the empty 512 Card.
I have also set my memory slider all the way to the right - to allow maximum disk space.

I always end up with "There were deployment errors. Continue?" regardless of an answer the deploy fails - BUT sometimes there is a copy of the executable in the specified folder on the device - but clicking on the file yields another error about not having all the dependencies (because the dll's don't seem to be there).

Anyone have any ideas?

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  11:59:24  Show Profile  Email Poster
The Compact Framework is installed in the GAC and therefore *must* be installed in the \Windows directory. No other target directory will work.

If your system complains that there is insufficient storage space, you can adjust the amount of available storage space using the System Memory Control Panel applet.
Go to Top of Page

Raleigh

7 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  12:05:43  Show Profile  Email Poster
You're right - Sorry - I should have said I specified the folder for my application to be deployed to - not the compact framework. One thing I did do however, was move the slider in system memory all the way to the right - just to allow maximum disk space. I have the standard Applied Data AGX with XScale processor - factory build with no other files on disk - I've specified to use the maximum amount of disk space and It seems the framework install won't re-install b/c of space constraints. If I specify to not reinstall I still get a deply failed error? I've run out of options to try. The app I'm deploying is just a single C# form with no code written.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  12:17:43  Show Profile  Email Poster
Don't move it all the way to the right, as that leaves no memory for your app to run in or for the framework to JIT in. What device are you using? Do you have other apps installed or a very large CE image?
Go to Top of Page

Raleigh

7 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  12:48:24  Show Profile  Email Poster
My memory settings were just temporary to see if the app would simply deploy to assure me that space was in fact the issue - I ordered a development system from Applied Data with CE.net already on disk. Storage properties tell me that the image disk has 14.22M? I also have 2 512M compact flash cards available for use.

I'm very familiar with with eXP but new to CE.Net. Is there a way to move the files from the on board disk and run it from the compact flash card (assuming that 14.22 megs is not enough room to push the framework) although if this is true - I'm surprised I got a development system without any room to debug applications.

I have no other applications installed whatsoever - just an applied system AGX2520 right out of the box running CE.net 4.1. I've added 2 compact flash cards and them simply tried to deploy a barebones app to test deployment.

Thanks -
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  12:58:22  Show Profile  Email Poster
The CF cards are going to have very little effect on the application deployment, as the system sees them simply as directories added to the root tree. Their size does not get calculated by the System Memory Control Panel applet. It only looks at RAM.

You should have plenty of space for the framework. Manually deploying it for a test is probably a good strategy. Simply copy the redistibutable CAB file to the device and run it. The redistributables are found (with a default install) here under the specific processor directories:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows CE\wce400
Go to Top of Page

Raleigh

7 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  13:29:01  Show Profile  Email Poster
Ok - It seems I'm making progress but still getting an error. I was able to manually install the compact framework on the device. But when I deploy from the VS.Net IDE, It first tries to install the framework - then it tells me that the CF is already installed and asks if I want to reinstall: I Select No (by X'ing out) and then it tries to copy a system_enu (something to that effect) - and dies with a message box on the dev system saying deployment failed. I'm now going to manually copy the build files to the device and see if they'll run on the framework - Have any other ideas on why I'm getting this deployment error?

I appreciate your help -
Go to Top of Page

Raleigh

7 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  13:55:26  Show Profile  Email Poster
As an addendum:
After playing with memory slider I was able to get a bit further, however still no form shown. I'm pasting the information from my build window below in hopes that it may help discover where my problem is:

------ Deploy started: Project: CE, Configuration: Debug Windows CE ------

Deploying to CE Device using TCP Connect Transport
Connected to CE Device (Windows CE) running on ARMV4T.
Copying files from 'C:\Documents and Settings\Raleigh\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\CE\bin\Debug' to '\Storage Card\TEST'
Copying CE.exe
Copying netcf.all.wce4.armv4t.cab
Launching device installation of 'netcf.all.wce4.armv4t.cab'. Please check device screen for further instructions.......
Copying System_SR_enu.cab
Launching device installation of 'System_SR_enu.cab'. Please check device screen for further instructions......

**HANGS HERE FOR ABOUT 5 minutes then proceeds**

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped
Deploy: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped

Launching Application
Launch failed - Cannot run Application.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  13:59:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
#System_SR_enu.cab

System_SR_enu.cab is the system exception resource file. Without it exceptions will have a number and no text, making debugging more challenging.

How are you connecting to the device? Serial, USB or Ethernet? Due to the amount of data the debugger sends to and receives from an app during debugging, I highly recommend using ethernet using the Smart Device Authentication utility. USB is fairly slow and serial is practically unusable.
Go to Top of Page

Raleigh

7 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  14:04:38  Show Profile  Email Poster
I have noticed that previously I wasn't getting any build text information until just recently. I'm trying to deploy right now and the status bar hangs on "launching application" for about 3-4 minutes and then fails. I am currently deploying over ethernet. I can get a successful connection from the connect icon in the VS.net IDE.
Go to Top of Page

Umberto

6 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  18:42:54  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am experiencing similar problems on BitsyX board. I made a simple app in VS2003 with C#. I run from within the VS2003 IDE : it deploys and runs OK.
However, after a cold reset I copy the .NET "exe" file and run it again : I GET NOTHING. no error. no GUI, nothing.

I tried installing the "netcf.all.wce4.armv4t.cab" and "System_SR_enu.cab" then re-try : still nothing. the "exe" file that was running fine with VS2003 (release and debug modes) are NOT working after a reboot.

What other files do I have to install ? How can I tell dependencies ?
How come a WinCE .NET (4.2) image doesn't have all the components required to run .NET apps ?

Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  12:09:51  Show Profile  Email Poster
If you erase the persistent registry and just put the device EXE on the device manually (i.e. don't deploy with Studio) will it run?
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000