What does RESTART.EXE actually do?
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

KnowledgeBase

296 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  16:40:09  Show Profile  Email Poster
Q: When I use the RESTART.EXE application in the Windows folder, everything in the file system is the same, but the real-time clock gets reset. I thought this was the same as going to sleep and waking up. What does this application actually do?

The Restart application applies a full reset to the processor in the same way that the reset button does. However, power is maintained to the RAM. When the processor restarts, it begins executing directly from RAM rather than having to copy the CE image into RAM from flash. Any applications that were running at the time of restart are shut down and program memory is cleared.

The Restart application is very useful during application development, especially to quickly take care of rogue processes and programs. The restart process preserves the registry settings, including ActiveSync partnership settings. You can quickly reestablish communication with the host PC for debugging. ActiveSync also synchronizes your device to the PC clock.

------------------
ADS Knowledge Base

Joelw

30 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2002 :  20:54:19  Show Profile  Email Poster
Is Device Manager reinitialized ??

Joel Winarske
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  10:52:09  Show Profile  Email Poster
RESTART.EXE performs a full reboot of the operating system. The object store is preserved, which is why the registry and file system remain intact.

All device drivers are reinitialized during the reboot of CE. This is best evidenced by the ADSLOAD.REG file reader, which overwrites overlapping entries that have changed since the last boot (see this topic for details).

-----------------------
Drew Kidder
ADS Technology Transfer
Go to Top of Page

ken.yeung

20 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  18:11:01  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am using VB.NET for compact framework and there is no shell function. Could anyone tell me how to initiate RESTART.EXE or any method to restart the device from code?
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000