All Forums
 Microsoft Windows CE
 General CE
 LaunchCEShellDelay - wait is it waiting for?
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

speterson

2 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  10:59:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
I noticed the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Platform]
"LaunchCEShellDelay"=dword:5 ; secs

What is this waiting for? And under what conditions would it be reasonable to set this to 0?

The system seems to work with this set to 0, but presumably the 5 second wait was put in for a reason.

I am interested because I am trying to minimize the bootup time of my system. Unfortunately I do not have the option of using suspend so the system does a "cold boot" every time the user turns it on -- so I'd like to remove delays such as this one.

I am using a VGX system with CE 4.20.27

Thank you.

Stephen

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  09:39:32  Show Profile  Email Poster
I'm also curious as to any ramifications if this value is set to 0. (Not that it should matter, but Bitsy - 3.33/1.78, BitsyX 4.10.36/1.10, and BitsyX 4.20.17/1.14.). We do have the desktop currently exposed on one application. And having as short of a boot before the screen displays something (anything) is a requirement.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

hchin

30 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  10:09:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
LaunchCEShellDelay - There are a few operations that need to be done before the desktop should be launched. Hence LaunchCEShellDelay was created so that we could delay the launch of the desktop to allow for the other operations to complete.
You might be ok to set it to 0.
Go to Top of Page

hchin

30 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  17:59:38  Show Profile  Email Poster
To add to this, LaunchCEShellDelay also affects when your .exe's gets launched in the same manner as how it affects your desktop. Meaning if LaunchCEShellDelay is set to 5 (5 seconds) then the desktop along with your executables will be delayed 5 seconds.

Please note that if FlashFX is not ready and LaunchCEShellDelay is set to 0 then your .exes in FlashFx/Startup might not get launched. However, adsload.exe will get launched regardless.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  07:28:26  Show Profile  Email Poster
So, we use ADSLoad.exe as a boot program to perform certain housekeeping functions prior to possibly starting the device application. Any information as to the time-line involved before we should allow ADSLoad.exe to CreateProcess() on our application? Is there any 'test' we could have ADSLoad perform to guarantee that FlashFX is ready? We would like to perform this test prior to CreateProcess(). We already check the return from CreateProcess().

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

hchin

30 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  14:52:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
Susan,
I think you are checking for FlashFX already with CreateProcess. So you could do a loop to check until the FlashFX is ready.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  06:53:00  Show Profile  Email Poster
I think one more question...

Any idea as to the CreateProcess() error code if the FlashDisk is not ready. I do not want to loop continously if CreateProcess() fails for some other reason.
Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  09:43:55  Show Profile  Email Poster
It will be either 2 (Specified file not found) or 3 (specified path not found) - probably 3.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000