All Forums
 Microsoft Windows CE
 CE Sample Applications and Utilities
 ADSCopy File copy slow when SDCard present (GCX)
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

opsens_claude_belleville

34 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  09:53:27  Show Profile
The execution of the ADSCopy.inf is slower when the SDCard is slot in the PCMCIA adapter even if no access to the external card is made

My ADSCopy.inf line is as following
'\FlashFX Disk\App.exe' '\Temp'

I'm logging the debug port;
it takes less than 100ms when SD Card isn't slot in and takes near 2sec when SD Card is slot in.

Do you have any clue to solve this

Thanks

opsens_claude_belleville

34 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  10:04:36  Show Profile
I have a GCX 4.20.18
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  13:18:40  Show Profile  Email Poster
Interesting. You're using a PCMCIA-to-SD adapter? I don't know that we've tried one of those on the GCX. What model is it?

Is the two-second delay in ADSCopy a problem in your application, or is it representative of a slow-down somewhere else that is an issue?
Go to Top of Page

opsens_claude_belleville

34 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  13:46:49  Show Profile
I'm using Dazzle 6-in-1 Media Card Pcmcia-adapter http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/SmartDisk_Dazzle_PCMCIA_5_in_1_Digital_Media_Adapter/DM9500/G66693/

I think it's equivalent to SanDisk 6-in-1 Media Card Pcmcia-adapter

The problems with the 2 seconds delay is that it slow down alot the startup of the GCX (as I required to copy few files)

One strange thing is that within the 2 seconds delay (I do not try to access the Storage Card i'm just copying file from FlashFX to Temp)

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  15:16:56  Show Profile  Email Poster
The GCX doesn't support MMC, so I can't speak to how it's going to support it through this adapter.

My bet is that the adapter makes SD, MMC, xD, Memory Stick and other storage devices it supports look like a standard PCMCIA mass storage device, but there's no way to tell how it does it by looking at it. Do you know what file system the card is formatted as? That might be one clue. See topic 1162.

We may be able to evaluate the adapter if you want to send it to us. Otherwise I'd recommend using a CompactFlash card and a straight-through PCMCIA adapter.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  15:36:18  Show Profile  Email Poster
If you run ADSCopy manually after the system is running do you still see the 2s delay, or is the delay simply an added 2s to your device startup time? If it's the latter, it's may well be that the FSD (which is likely at a higher priority than ADSCopy) is taking a while to mount the MMC card, and that expresses itself as the system taking longer to fully boot.
Go to Top of Page

opsens_claude_belleville

34 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  10:34:28  Show Profile

The fact is as following

A)First time I boot the system with SDCard not plugged
1- The first ADSCopy\Copy file is really fast
for each of the 5 file I try to copy
(maybe 100ms per file)
2- The second time that I start the ADS Copy (without SDCard)
The 5 files take near 10 seconds (2 sec. per file)
(and it still the same for other ADS copy)
* even if the PCMCIA card is not plug it's the same thing

B)First time I boot the system with SDCard plugged
1- The first ADSCopy\Copy file is the same as followin
for each of the 5 file the copy takes near 2 sec

* So maybe the system wasn't completly boot when the SD Card is'nt slot-in

* The 2 sec delay is kind of strange anyway because the file size is 6 to 25 kb max

For the file system, I havent try it yet but when I put the Windows image on the SD Card and ask the device to update it, I'v got the error like topic:1163

Thanks

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000