All Forums
 Hardware
 General Hardware, ADSmartIO, Digital I/O and A/Ds
 Difference in audio codec outputs (line out L &R)
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

sdsteam

60 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  10:01:21  Show Profile  Email Poster
hi,

I am facing an issue with Audio's in the Bitsy-x Board, Difference in audio loudness is observed in right and left channels when a simple sine wave (700Hz, 11025sampling) is played in both the channels at the same volume levels. Hence i started debugging the codec outputs and amplifier outputs.
I am observing negative clipping at LIne_out_R when i run at higher volume levels (Linux driver is used to control the volume levels) and also the max swing voltage observed in right channel output is only 3V where as in the left channel is 5V. I clearly understand that more loudness in the right channel is due the clipping in the wave form (more RMS power).

Kindly provide me some inputs to debug this-- why is it happening and how can we avoid this clipping, is it possible through the SW itself or not. and also is it possible to increase the swing of the Right channel to 5V.

I have one more question, the outut in the left channel is 5V p-p in 83% volume level itself - whsy is this so??? and Why 1.5 gain factor is used to amplify this as we know that this will be clipped and distorted when we run at higher volume levels.

Thanks & Regards

SDS TEAM

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  19:21:44  Show Profile  Email Poster
The reason the volume settings can cause clipping is to allow one to play at full output quiet recording that do not use the full dynamic range of the media. It's the same reason that a stereo is seldom played with the volume turnned all the way up - with a normal input to the stereo, this would cause clipping and maybe damage to your speakers. A volume control like this is useful if you have a recording that is very quiet - you an use the volume control to boost it to levels that you need.

We've not had reports of the BitsyX left and right channels playing at different levels. Have you confirmed that this is an issue on more than one system? If so, we can follow up with some testing here. You might want to email us the details of how you are testing.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000