All Forums
 Hardware
 Cables and Connectors
 BitsyXb (power issues while separating boards)
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

rajaramanr

0 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  18:31:49  Show Profile
Hello,
For some testing application that we are doing, it was required to physically seperate the Bitsyxb board and the development board. So I bought the required cables and headers (3 50-pin and 1 34-pin headers) from samtec and connected the two boards using the cables. But when we connected the power, there was some clicking noise on the power adaptor (the green light kept blinking too!) and the board did not boot at all. But as soon as i brought the boards back together, it started working. I am not sure what mistake I was making, hence this message. Let me know if any one can help on this. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Raj

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  18:52:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
My bet is that in making the cables, you inadvertently switched the even and odd rows of signals. This is easy to do, especially if you are translating signals from top to bottom.

In your case, start by focusing on the power signals from the personality board. Header J3 is the only one that needs to be connected to the BitsyXb to have it boot.

With cables attached to the personality board but not to the BitsyXb, connect power to the personality board. Probe the pins from header J3 to confirm that DCIN_POS (J3.44) and GND (J3.49) are in the correct locations on your cable. If they are, you should be able to plug the cable into the BitsyXb, apply power and have the board boot. Hopefully it was not damaged by the short you caused in the power supply (that was the clicking you heard).

I'm not sure why you need to have the boards separated. Perhaps if you let us know why they have to be apart we may be able to suggest another solution that would achieve the same end.
Go to Top of Page

rajaramanr

0 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  22:25:03  Show Profile
Thank you for a very quick response. The reason why I need to seperate the board is to expose the PXA270 chip directly to neutron radiation. We are trying to find and model the effect of neutron radiation on processors and we are conducting such tests on it for which we need direct access to the front of the chip.
And thank you for your suggestions, I will try it out soon. But I am pretty sure I took extra care to have the directions same when inserting the cables. I will double check again the next time around and do the tests you asked me to do.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  18:11:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for the details. In this application you will not need the personality board. Supply power to header J6 of the BitsyXb and pull the Serial 3 signals off header J3.

For the power, you can plug the 3-pin adapter we have for the Bitsy personality board directly on to two-pin header J6. For the Serial 3 connection, use cable 610111-10072 connected to header J3 (see topic 1279 for cable drawings).
Go to Top of Page

rajaramanr

0 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  18:53:15  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions. I still have'nt worked on the board, but just wanted to say that i have installed a full root system on a USB memory and I use that to run test codes. So I might still need the personality board right?! I will look at your suggestions though. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000