Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

mmp

31 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  08:37:41  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hello,

I am using a different inverter than the one provided by ADS (the LS 520A) and I would like to be able to vary the brightness of the backlight. The inverter that I am using is ERG E2077C. The main difference between the two inverters is that the one provided by ADS controls the brightness by means of ramping (change of level in the voltage) while the inverter that I am using requires a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal. I noticed that in the sample application for controlling the brightness, ADS uses a function called "SIOBacklightPwm" to control the brightness which I thought it is doing it by PWM (since it's got 'pwm' in the name) but when I hooked up an oscilloscope to see what was really going on, I noticed that voltage ramping (voltage going up an down) was taking place. Indeed, the description says that it simulates a potentiometer to vary the level of the voltage in order to control the brightness of the backlight (which is consistent w/ how the ADS provided inverter works.) However, as I said earlier, I need a PWM signal to control the brightness. Are there any functions available that do that? In the sample application there is another function called "SetSA1111PWM0" and its description is "Set PWM level for backlight (SA1111 PWM0) " but no matter what values I try as its argument, nothing happens. My processor is SA1110; I am wondering if that has to do with anything. And if yes, is there a function that controls the PWM of an SA1110 instead of SA1111 ? Assuming that I am approaching this problem from a wrong angle, what would be the solution to obtain (out of the main board) a PWM signal that I would be able to vary (by software) ?

Thanks,
Marius

p.s., I am using GC+, SA1110.

mmp

31 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  14:04:30  Show Profile  Email Poster
Follow-up: Analyzing the problem a little bit more, I found out that (just as the documentation says) there is a filter that converts the PWM signal so that it can be used with the ADS provided inverter (for voltage ramping.) Therefore, I will remove the filter to attempt to get a straight PWM signal and then try varying the brightness by means of the SIOBacklightPwm function.

Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  14:35:04  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Marius:

On the rev B GC Plus, the backlight PWM filter cap is C27 on the underside of the board near the backlight header, J13. On revs D and F, the filter cap is C142 on the top side, right behind J13.

You can remove the filter cap yourself, but do note that we can't warranty the board once you've reworked it. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

mmp

31 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  16:05:41  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Drew,

Thanks for the reply. The capacitor has been removed and I can control the backlight intensity by means of PWM using the SIOBacklightPwm function. The frequency is constant (approx. 7.4Khz) and I get around 8 levels of intensity (so, of course, it is not as smooth as it was when ramping was used.)
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000