Persisting Device Drivers
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  17:52:16  Show Profile  Email Poster
Q: I have a third-party installable (i.e. PCMCIA or USB) device driver that needs to be loaded when the CE kernel starts up. Is there a way that I can install this driver so it persists across resets or power cycles?

Yes, you can do this with ADS devices that support persisting the registry. Simply follow these steps:

1. Copy the device driver DLL to the "\FlashFX Disk" folder on the device
  2. Add all of the driver's required registry entries (i.e. \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\XXXXX)
  3. Modify the device registry to contain the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Loader
    "SystemPath"=multi_sz:"\\FlashFX Disk\\\"

Note:The above registry key is a MULTI_SZ key, which the registry editor on the device cannot correctly edit or save. You can, however, use the remote registry editor from eVC or ADSReg.exe to make this modification
  4. Persist the device registry (see the Developer's Getting Started Guide for more information)
  5. reset the device

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  15:19:56  Show Profile  Email Poster
If I want to load Cisco.dll from "FlashFx Disk" folder on startup, I should add "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\Cisco" key in step 2 above. Is that right? Should I add any values under this key?

Thanks,
Renyi.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  15:22:09  Show Profile  Email Poster
You need to replicate the entire key structure that the OEM install produces. The easiest way to do it is to load the driver via the OEM-supplied install CAB, then use the Remote Registry Editor from eVC to export the key.
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  17:43:19  Show Profile  Email Poster
Yes, I did. But I didn't find any entries for the driver under "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn" key. And the system still went to the old driver in the kernel instead of the one in "\FlashFx Disk" folder on power-up.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  18:01:54  Show Profile  Email Poster
Most PCMCIA drivers will install their keys under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\PCMCIA key.
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  18:48:50  Show Profile  Email Poster
yes, and it also set keys under "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm". I replicated all the related key values including version number of the driver, still didn't work. And when I went to "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Cisco1\Parms", I found it failed to change the version number of the driver (still 2.20.05 instead of 2.30.11).
Go to Top of Page

whuh

23 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  09:18:03  Show Profile  Email Poster
It seems that you don't have following keys.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\PCMCIA\Detect\27]
"Dll"="Cisco.dll"
"Entry"="DetectCisco"
Go to Top of Page

Renyi

26 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  12:33:32  Show Profile  Email Poster
Yes, I do. And I also changed the entry "Dll"="\FlashFx Disk\Cisco.dll", but I got a warning after startup - "Unidentified PCCard Adapter" "Enter the name of the driver for the PCCard". It seemed that at the point when GMaster detected the adapter on power-up and tried to load the driver from "\FlashFx Disk", "\FlashFx Disk" folder had not been built yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000