AGX Connecting to Serial A-D locks board
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

forester

2 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  13:07:55  Show Profile  Email Poster
We're trying to bring up a new AGX development system.

Without connecting to J40, the system works. When we try to connect a small adapter board to J40, the board locks and will not boot (nothing on the debug port).

The adapter board only has connections for: GND, TX, RX for all four ports. Ports A & B are connected to an RS-232 level driver, while ports C & D are connected to 3.3V logic drivers. The adapter board has a separate 3.3V regulator. All other pins besides GND, TX (A-D), and RX(A-D) are open.

Any suggestions? I verified that my ground pins are the same as the ground pins on the AGX board using a continuity tester (to verify my understanding of the pinouts). I haven't downloaded a data sheet on the QuadUART to bell out those connections yet.

John

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  13:53:25  Show Profile  Email Poster
There could be any number of things going on. Here are a couple to check:
  • Connector Orientation
    Do pins 1 and 2 of your board connector match pins 1 and 2 of the AGX?

• Signal Direction
    Did you connect your RX lines to the AGX TX lines? The TX/transmit lines specified in the manual are signal outputs.

• Pin Voltages
    Do pin voltages match expectations? I.e. With your board not connected, EIA-232 output pins should be +/-6V; input pins should be floating.

• System Power Supply
    Does installing your board cause the 3.3V system power supply to stay low? You can test 3.3V power at JP3 pin 1 (behind the reset switch).
These are a few starting points. If these don't provide the insight you need, your best bet is to email us directly or give us a call to troubleshoot the issue.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  14:43:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
Resolution: Connector pin numbering

It turned out that the issue was not at J40, but on the power cable made to connect to J2. Keep an eye out for pin 1 on our products.

Manufacturers can number the pins of similar parts differently; Molex even uses different pin numbering within the same parts family. In this case, the pinout for the six-pin Amp/Molex header that we used was opposite from what forester had used in his cable. We were both using published manufacturer pinouts.

Pin 1 on all our connectors is always indicated by a square pad on through-hole components and a mark or number on surface-mount ones.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000