Connectivity Problems with Visual Studio 2003
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  11:35:12  Show Profile  Email Poster
Q: I'm having problems connecting to my device for debugging from Studio. I have a valid ActiveSync connection and can browse the device, but the debugger just refuses to see the device. Often I get an error that says "Be sure the device is physically connected" even when it is. What's going on?

Unfortunately this is not an uncommon complaint. It happens quite regularly, and it's not specific to ADS products. A quick search through the Microsoft public newsgroup archives yields many complaints like this. Below are a few representative threads that contain some of the responses from both the community and Microsoft:

Example 1Example 2Example 3
Example 4Example 5Example 6
Example 7Example 8Example 9
Example 10Example 11Example 12

To see more, simply run a Google Groups search.

The problem occurs with all device, Pocket PC and non-Pocket PC alike, but seems to be more prevalent with non-Pocket PCs. We've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what conditions cause the problem, how to avoid it and how to fix it, and have had only limited success. To compound the problem, Microsoft has published some "official" information on the subject, but have not adequately provided a solution.
Below are some links to their recommendations:

ProxyPorts bug KB article
CE Tools KB article
Pocket PC Connectivity Problem KB article
Suggestion to remove/re-add Smart Device Programmability in Studio
Preparing a device for connectivity
Connectivity after reinstalling ActiveSync
FAQ on Connectivity
DelDesktopCryptKey Recommendation

Following these steps may or may not get you back up and running. The most reliable method of recovery that we have been able to use is as follows:
  1. Erase any persistent registry on the device
  2. Pull device power
  3. Discharge device supercaps if they are populated
  4. On the PC Shut down Studio
  5. Run DelDesktopCryptKey.exe on the PC (by default found at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003.0\CompactFrameworkSDK\WinCE Utilities\DelDesktopCryptKey
  6. Restart Studio
  7. Power the device
  8. Make an ActiveSync partnership
  9. From Studio, choose the device processor type (ARMV4I or ARMV4T)
  10. Re-connect following the steps in the CE Developer's Guide

Because Microsoft owns the development and connectivity tools, the only recourse if these steps do not work is to contact Microsoft Support. We have had a couple customers who have had to go this route and were able to get debugging working with the help of Microsoft, but we do not know the exact steps Microsoft provided.
  Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000