General Hardware, ADSmartIO, Digital I/O and A/Ds
 Watchdog Timer on AGX board
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

perletz

10 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  17:00:25  Show Profile
I have a question about the nature of the watchdog reset on the AGX board. I am running Linux 2.4.19 and I configure and enable the Xscale's watchdog via the Linux device driver. This appears to work as expected since the Xscale resets when the watchdog is allowed to timeout. However the AGX does not seem to reset cleanly because I see the following message toward the end of bootup:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

which is repeated every few seconds. This message does not appear during bootup after hitting the reset button.

My question is: should a watchdog reset produce a clean reset of the board? What should I do to achieve this?

Thank you for your help.

rwhaley

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  11:12:28  Show Profile
We are not able to reproduce this using the latest software and CPLD version. What version of the kernel and CPLD do you have? (uname -a; dmesg | grep CPLD)
Go to Top of Page

perletz

10 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  11:21:48  Show Profile
Thanks for your response.

Here's the reply to the request for kernel and CPLD version:

# uname -a; dmesg | grep CPLD
Linux cs4k.symmetricom.com 2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-adsx8 #1 Wed Dec 15 15:27:15 UTC 2004 armv5tel unknown
Go to Top of Page

rwhaley

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  11:45:25  Show Profile
That's a pretty old Kernel. We can reproduce the problem with that kernel version. Can you upgrade to the current 2.4.27 kernel?

You may also need to get a newer CPLD. But I can't tell because I don't see the CPLD version in your message. 'dmesg | grep CPLD' should find the CPLD version that's displayed by the kernel when it initializes.
Go to Top of Page

perletz

10 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  11:51:53  Show Profile
Here's the CPLD message during bootup:

ADS CPLD REV: 0x0-0xa

Can I consider upgrading the CPLD version only, or is the kernel upgrade (which I would prefer to avoid) necessary with respect to the watchdog problem?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

rwhaley

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  12:06:19  Show Profile
You seem to have the latest CPLD.

I should have asked earlier about your bootloader. Is your bootloader older than 4.10? If so, you should upgrade your bootloader to the latest. Prior to 4.10 and the CPLD change the ethernet was not being reset upon reboots (or watchdog timer resets).

I would recommend the kernel upgrade anyway.

Go to Top of Page

perletz

10 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  13:26:27  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip about the bootloader. The version on my board appears to be 4.8 --

AGX Linux Boot ROM (0x01) 4.8 PXA 64M (Nov 21 2003,12:13:10)

so I will upgrade to the latest bootloader.

By the way, should I consider moving to the 2.6 kernel?

Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

rwhaley

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  13:39:39  Show Profile
I would recommend that you try 2.6. But you should be aware that 2.6 has been used much less than 2.4 so you may discover situations where there are problems.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000