Network ports on Graphics Client Plus
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

dcx

35 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  16:22:29  Show Profile  Email Poster
I did a port scan on my Graphics Client Plus with CE 4.2, and Boot Code 1.83 and it came up with the following active ports - 80, 135, and 443.

I did a port scan on my GCX with CE 4.2 and it came up with the following active ports - 21, 23, 80, 135, and 443.

My question is what are these ports being used for or how would I figure this out, and if I want to disable any of them, how would I do that?

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  18:30:33  Show Profile  Email Poster
These are TCP and UDP ports that are open for functions such as FTP, Telnet, HTTP and SSL (one large list of the port functions is posted at http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers ).

In CE, you can close down some or all of the ports using the built-in firewall. Take a look at the information in topic 1795 for details.
Go to Top of Page

dcx

35 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  15:20:37  Show Profile  Email Poster
I added that to the registry for the graphics client plus, and ports 80, 135, and 443 were still active. Should these ports have been disabled by the registry setting?
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  16:32:28  Show Profile  Email Poster
You can shut down the HTTP service (or the Telnet, FTP or whatever service) if you're not using them. To shut them down at run time go to a command prompt and type

services -list

to see all the running services. To stop one use the following syntax:

services stop {service}

For example:

services stop HTP0:

All of the server's also have registry keys that can be set to prevent them from starting in the first place. See MSDN Documentation for details:

HTTPD Server
FTP Server
Telnet Server
RAS Server
Go to Top of Page

dcx

35 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  14:57:02  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked