Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  10:48:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
Originally posted at topic 2096 by figued
We are planning on using two posible power sources for he BitsyXb with Personality board. One is a stack of three Li-Ion cells and the other is a stack of ten Alkaline cells. The manual is not clear on how to connect these sources so the charger does not try to charge the Alkaline cells and the battery condition is monitored on the LCD display. Please help clarify the needed connections.

Thank you,

Dave

Hi Dave. The short answer is that you will need to design your own battery charging solution to power the BitysXb. The BitsyXb has a simple trickle charging circuit suitable for simple lead-acid and NiCd applications. The personality board includes a charger that will work with 8.2 or 8.4V Li ion cells (I don't recall which off the top of my head), but I don't think is designed for a three-cell stack. You can take a look at the datasheet for the BQ2057 IC on the personality board for more details about what it supports.

Diodes are a simple way to combine power supplies and to prevent back-charging--we use one to isolate the BitsyXb "battery" input (Vbatt_Pos) from the "line" input. A more robust solution is to use MOSFETs to select the power source. Many battery charging ICs have this functionality built in.

Let us know how we can help.

p.s. I moved your post from the BitsyXb user manual topic, as we usually leave that topic locked and only post changes and errata there.
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000