Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

tomasmk

2 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  11:51:03  Show Profile
Hello

Anyone knows if there are any differences in dlls between the Win CE 5.0 CORE and 5.0 PRO?

This is because I want to run a software called Garmin Mobile XT on it, and I need to know which os will fit best. (I know I will have to add dlls, but I want to know which will ask me to put less dlls)

Also, do you know what are the differences between Win CE .NET 5.0 and Win CE 5.0 "without .net"?

Thanks a lot for your answer

Regards,

Tomas

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  12:09:37  Show Profile  Email Poster
Your questions are a bit vague, so lets see if we can first clear up that confusion.

"Pro" and "Core" are simply license levels for Windows CE. Eurotech provides a representative sample of each for their platforms and the specific contents of each are outlined in the files included with the downloads (ceconfig.h and ce.bib). Thise files are Platform Builder outputs and provide a detailed description of what is in each.

There are going to be differences between the two in both what DLLs are included as well as what entry points may or may not be in certain DLLs that are in both (like coredll.dll) and it's not really easy to just define or list the differences. If you have software that you need to run on a platform, the most reliable way to do so is to use something like Dependecy Viewer on the app on your desktop and see what it requires, then to see if the CE image contains those. A fast way to test is to just try to run teh software - if it works you have everything, if not then you need to use tools like Dependency Viewer to try to see what's missing.

As for "with" or "without .net" I can only assume that it means the Compact Framework - we could be more certain if you're give some context as to where you're seeing the two. If it is indeed a reference to with or without the CF, then the difference would therefor be one would include the CF binaries in the image. What version of those binaries would also be a good question - that could be determined by running cgacutil.exe on the one "with".
Go to Top of Page

tomasmk

2 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  14:00:24  Show Profile
Dear ctacke,

thanks very much for taking the time to help me. Your answer is very clear.
According to partners which are already trying to work this out, they had to find all the dlls, which they almos did, because they lacked one: coredll.dll , exactly the one you mention. So the problem must probably be in that.

Do you know where can I find different versions of this dll, so I can see which Windows CE has the correct one?

Thanks again

Tomas
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  14:05:07  Show Profile  Email Poster
Again, I'm unclear what you're doing. coredll.dll is in every Windows CE device. You can't "find" one as it's part of the in ROM Windows CE image, nor can you modify the one on the device. You cannot copy coredll, and if you somehow get one that isn't part of a CE image, you can't "install" it on another device anyway. You can only use the one that is on the device as it shipped from the OEM.

In order to better help you, I think the questions you need to answer are:

1. What specific Eurotech device are you using?
2. What Windows CE build are you using on that device that's failing?
3. What are the dependencies of the application you are trying to run?
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000