Source to dumpMem
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

jgrizzel

4 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  16:37:13  Show Profile
I found an executable in our shop entitled "720040-11081_dumpMem.exe". Where is the the source to this. I wanted to snatch some ideas from it. Thanks

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  06:35:48  Show Profile  Email Poster
I don't know if I can locate the source to that app right offhand, but I think I remember what it does.

If you want to be able to read physical memory addresses, you'll need to use VirtualAlloc and VirtualCopy. Take a look at the CFBus test app at topic 1638, which performs just this function.

Let us know if there is some other aspect of DumpMem you're interested in. I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  09:25:07  Show Profile  Email Poster
If you plan on using it for CE 6.0, keep in mind that that VirtualAlloc and VirtualCopy are no longer available outside the kernel, so this technique won't work without writing a kernel-mode driver.
Go to Top of Page

jgrizzel

4 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  10:48:47  Show Profile
Thanks, BTW - the dumpMem is kind of a misnomer. it really was a peak and poke of any address 8/16/32 data sizes. It is an MFC GUI frontend.
I had a glance at the PCMCIA and CF code, and looks kind of straightforward (better than others I have available), will dig deeper later.
Oh, I am happy to say we won't be migrating to 6.0 on this project, I realize it is a new OS paradigm, at this point, that is about all I know.
Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

beitman

63 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  13:31:00  Show Profile  Email Poster
Dumpmem is very simple:

1. Get physical address from user
2. Map a virtual address to the physical address
3. Read/write the data
4. Unmap the virutal address

I would use MmMapIoSpace() instead of VirualAlloc()/VirtualCopy(). MmMapIoSpace() is much easier to use.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000