All Forums
 Hardware
 General Hardware, ADSmartIO, Digital I/O and A/Ds
 BitsyXB won't boot if the FlashFX is full?
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

GregSTXS

6 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  11:24:30  Show Profile
I have a BitsyXB (with CF and Ethernet board, Windows CE Ver.(5.00.39 BX270_Pro_HIVE)) that won't boot. The last thing that QA did with it was copy a lot of images to the FlashFX drive, until it was full. Now, it won't get past the splash screen. I can, however, get to the Boot Loader Debug Menu.
1) Is there a minimum amount of free space on FlashFX required for the BitsyXB to boot?
2) Should I erase the flash memory through the debug menu? All of it (that is, from 200000 to 2000000)?

thanks,
Greg

Here is the boot log when trying to load WinCe:

Microsoft Windows CE Ethernet Bootloader Common Library Version 1.1 Built Sep 23
2008 17:30:08
Unlocking FLASH blocks.
INFO: LoadEBootCFG: Using default configuration for all blocks

Resetting factory default configuration...

Resetting MemCfg oconfiguration...
DeleteSysHiveFile 33

Splash Display ADSLOAD.BMP.
ADSLOAD.BMP File Format OK.
BitsPerPixel is 16.
Display Module is the default inside CPU.

Copyright (c) 2002-2008 EuroTech Inc.

================================================
BitsyXb Platform - Bootloader
------------------------------------------------
* Version 2.12
* SDRAM: 64 MB
* Flash: 32 MB
* Type: Retail
* Built on Sep 23 2008 at 17:35:37
* CPLD Rev: 6
* DIP SW: 1=off, 2=off
* Boot Option: SEALED BOX UPGRADE
* Processor clock (turbo): 512 MHz
==================================================

System ready!
Preparing for download...
PC Cards Inserted: 0
- ATA disk NOT found.

Found resident NK image in FLASH:
- Copying to RAM... Done.

Jumping to image at 0xA0200000(P):0x80200000(V)...

Windows CE Kernel for ARM (Thumb Enabled) Built on Feb 8 2007 at 23:36:51
ProcessorType=0411 Revision=7
sp_abt=ffff5000 sp_irq=ffff2800 sp_undef=ffffc800 OEMAddressTable = 80207ad4
System DRAM (MB) - Total:64 Extension:None
Sp=ffffc7cc
Datalight FlashFX Pro v1.11 Build 856
Copyright (c) 1993-2004 Datalight, Inc.
Patents: US#5860082, US#6260156.
FFX: B1A00000 = CreateStaticMapping( 01A00000, 00600000 )
FlashFX SDK License ID #5B2C08D8
Created Thread 43C3EFD6
Datalight Reliance v1.13.0337
Copyright (c) 2003 - 2005 Datalight, Inc.
Registered to #6A48B493

twhite

133 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  12:35:22  Show Profile  Email Poster
GregSTXS,

If your FlashFX is truly full, here are some things to consider:

1. When FlashFX (FFX) has enough space to erase FFX memory in anticipation of FFX writes, things go much faster. Since your FFX memory is full, operations will take longer. Go ahead and boot your system (I didn't see any errors) and try to wait for it to complete its operations. Once that is complete, you might be able to erase some files and speed up your system.

2. When FFX is full, the registry may be having problems reading/writing in its normal operation. If this is the problem, you will have to use the debug menu method or the ADSLOAD.FMT method to clear out the FFX space.

3. Create an empty file named ADSLOAD.FMT on your CF card and reboot your system. That should cause your system to format your FFX drive.

4. Finally, use the debug menu to erase the FFX space. In your debug listing above, you'll see a line near the end with the text "CreateStaticMapping". The two numbers after it are the offset into memory, and the size of memory. Use the offset number as the begin address for erasing, and add the offset+size to create the end address. Those two numbers will allow you to erase the FFX space.

Please try one of these methods (based on your expertise) and let us know how well this goes.
Go to Top of Page

GregSTXS

6 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  15:38:46  Show Profile
ADSLOAD.FMT did the trick. I switched back to sealed box upgrade, started with ADSLOAD.FMT on the flash card, and it booted into Windows just fine.

Do you know how much space we need to leave on the FFX? It was definitely hung, not just booting slowly (unless it was going to take days).

thanks!
Go to Top of Page

twhite

133 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  15:48:45  Show Profile  Email Poster
My understanding is that the FlashFX drive should have approx. 25% free space to continue to operate efficiently. Sounds like allot, but that's a conservative number.

Thank you for allowing us to support your efforts.

T. White
Go to Top of Page

jjmackay

24 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  13:12:32  Show Profile  Email Poster
Would this be also true for the GCX? One of our testers reported that he filled up the flashfx disk to perform one of our acceptance test that we used to run on a GCP without persisting registry. Windows didn't start and he reported having to reflash the image and the adsload.reg in order for it to work again. Of course, the FlashFx Disk was reformatted.

My suspicion is because Windows wasn't able to write to its registry. Can you confirm this? If so, is reflashing the only means of recovering?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

grenierm

133 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  10:59:42  Show Profile  Email Poster
jjmackay:

You should be able to use the adsload.fmt method mentioned above in this thread to reformat the FlashFX disk.
Go to Top of Page

grenierm

133 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  17:49:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
Correction:

The GCX bootloaders do not support reformatting the FlashFx disk using the adsload.fmt method. I tested on my end and was able to confirm this fact.

In the scenario you mentioned above, it would indeed seem that reloading the CE Image is the best method to reformat the CE Image.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000