Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

revellat

2 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  13:07:39  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi,

I plan to interface the Bitsy mother board via USB, through a custom design daughter board. What specific components are required to be compliant with USB Specification 2.0 ?

If I don't use the connector board, what would it take to build an ethernet connection from the Bitsy mother board ?

Regards,
Guillaume

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2002 :  11:39:25  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thank you for your posting.

To implement USB on a daughter board, you need to set up power management for the downstream port. Take a look at the schematics for the Bitsy Personality board for details about how we implemented power control using the Micrel MIC2506-1 (pdf). You might also consider including transient suppression (eg. the TI SN75240 pdf).

-----------------------
Drew Kidder
ADS Technology Transfer

p.s. I've moved this posting from the "Cables and Connectors" forum to the "Ethernet...and high-speed data" forum so others can benefit from your question.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2002 :  11:49:26  Show Profile  Email Poster
Ethernet options

If you want to use Ethernet with the Bitsy, and don't want to use an Ethernet Personality board, consider using one of the wired or wireless cards listed in our Third Party Hardware list.
Go to Top of Page

revellat

2 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  12:24:01  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi,

I will use the Bitsy board only as a slave, so I do not need to manage power for the downstream port. But it looks like connecting only the data lines D+ and D- between the host and the slave (the Bitsy board) is not sufficient.
Do I need to connect VBUS and GND coming from the host ? and in this case where on the board ?

Looking at the Bisty Connector Board schematic, I figured out that you offset SLAVE_USB_POS and SLAVE_USB_NEG with a voltage divider (~3V offset). What for ?

Thanks and regards,
Guillaume
Go to Top of Page

pdombrowski

10 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  08:08:40  Show Profile  Email Poster
Guillaume,

From the Bitsy Connector Board schematic 640111-8000 Rev 1 your application will require the following components:

1) J11 USB Type B Connector
2) R45, R46 Very weak pulldowns (<15K is OK) per SA1110 Manual recommendation
3) L12 filtered bus connection to ground
4) R44 1.5K pullup on D+ required per specification
5) L11 VCC Connection not required to support function

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page