General Hardware, ADSmartIO, Digital I/O and A/Ds
 BitsyX DIP Switch/Bootloader Menu
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

HBPayne

45 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  19:26:47  Show Profile
- Apparently BitsyX DIP boot switch settings are different than Bitsy; what are they?

- Bootloader menu doesn't seem to have a read file selection; is there another way to read adsload.reg and adsload.hwt?

Edited by - HBPayne on 23 Apr 2003 20:23:43

jbaik

22 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  10:09:16  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by HBPayne[/i]
[br]- Apparently BitsyX DIP boot switch settings are different than Bitsy; what are they?

It is pretty much same as Bitsy.
Switch
0x1 : Boot CE from Flash Memory
0x2 : Copy CE image from ATA card to Flash memory and Menu on Debug port
0x03 : Copy CE image from ATA card to Flash memory and run CE.
0x00: Read Boot Option from adsload.hwt file.

Boot Option for adsload.hwt
0xA1E30000 0x??
0x02: CE boot from ATA card
0x04: Copy CE image and files to Flash and Menu On Debug Port.
0x05: CE boot from Flash memory.
0x09: Copy CE files from ATA card to Flash and Run CE.

quote:

- Bootloader menu doesn't seem to have a read file selection; is there another way to read adsload.reg and adsload.hwt?

It is not imlemeted yet. I'll put this on next release.

Go to Top of Page

HBPayne

45 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  12:53:47  Show Profile
- Since I can't read the adsload.reg and adsload.hwt files, can you send/post copies please.

- The "Read Boot Option from adsload.hwt file" is new to me, is there information/link on that?

Edited by - HBPayne on 24 Apr 2003 13:40:35
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  11:26:53  Show Profile
Hi Harold. I've emailed you the configuration files for your system.

The BitsyX uses a new boot mechanism that relies on entries in the HWT file to determine the boot behavior. More information on that will be forthcoming, but for now the comments in the HWT file I sent you should be a good guide.
Go to Top of Page

HBPayne

45 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  12:19:02  Show Profile
Thanks Drew, I'm back in operation.
Go to Top of Page

drweick

2 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  13:09:04  Show Profile
I'm trying to enable a USB mouse on my BitsyX (Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical) and it's not working. Read something about needing to change a setting in the ADSLOAD.HWT but before I start mucking with loading a new ADSLOAD.HWT I'd like a copy of the file that's already loaded. How do I get a copy since there is no debug option for dumping the contents of the flash files?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  13:16:50  Show Profile
Take a look at Topic 964 - ADSLOADExtract.exe
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  06:59:21  Show Profile
Could you please explain option 6 on the BitsyX bootloader debug menu?

6) Luc xsigfahrsdn image at startup
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:41:04  Show Profile
Serial output from the BitsyX boot states 'BootSwitch = 0x8', but I do not see that as an option above, nor in the ADSLoad.hwt. Is the BootSwitch specified in the serial output different from the BootSwitch which is specified in ADSLoad.hwt?

According to your 4/25/2003 post, I should be able to change the boot behavior merely by changing the ADSLoad.hwt value. I changed the value for 0xA1E30000 to 0x00000004, and expected to get the debug menu. The device booted to the desktop.

I restarted the device (with the above change to 0xA1E30000), and at least expected to see the serial output tell me that the boot switch was set to 0x4. Output still stated that the boot switch was 0x8. No debug menu, again.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  12:59:56  Show Profile
Take a look at Topic 983 for clarification of the boot switch settings.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  07:29:11  Show Profile
Once more...

BitsyX, 4.10.23, 1.07...

1. Switch 1 OFF, switch 2 ON; no PCMCIA card inserted. According to Topic 983 "BitsyX and AGX systems will display the debug menu even if no image is available on an inserted ATA card.". I get a normal boot, with the serial output stating that the boot switch is 0x5. No debug menu. NOT THE EXPECTED RESULT.

2. Switch 1 OFF, switch 2 ON; HWT on card with boot switch set to 0x00000009 (yes, the card was inserted into the slot firmly). The HWT apparently did not get installed (no serial output to that affect; boot switch still reports as being set to 0x5. No debug menu. NOT THE EXPECTED RESULT.

3. Repeat of number 2. Same results.

4. Switch 1 OFF, switch 2 ON; NK.BIN and HWT on card with boot switch set to 0x00000009 (yes, the card was inserted into the slot firmly). Neither NK.BIN nor HWT were installed (no serial output to that affect; boot switch still reports as being set to 0x5. No debug menu. NOT THE EXPECTED RESULT.

5. Switch 1 ON, switch 2 ON, same files on the card as in number 4 above. Both files installed, boot switch reported as 0x9. No debug menu. EXPECTED RESULT.

6. Switch 1 OFF, switch 2 ON, no card. Boot switch reported as 0x5 (because??? It was reported as being set to 0x9 during the previous boot. There was no card in the slot during this boot). No debug menu. NOT THE EXPECTED RESULT.

7. Switch 1 ON, switch 2 ON; HWT (with boot switch set to 0x9), REG, and ADSLoad.exe (do-nothing build) on card. All files installed (according to serial output). Boot switch reported as 0x9. Normal boot (meaning no debug menu). EXPECTED RESULT.

8. Switch 1 ON, switch 2 ON; no card. Boot switch reported as 0x9. Normal boot. This was expected.

9. Switch 1 OFF, switch 2 ON; no card. Boot switch reported as 0x5. (See the previous attempt. The boot switch was reported as 0x9.) NOT THE EXPECTED RESULT. (No, there was no debug menu.)

I have twenty-seven different scenarios recorded from yesterday's attempts at getting the debug menu (those were the only ones I wrote down). This is the second BitsyX I have tried.

Please also see my post dated 11Jun2003. Topic 983 did not answer what boot switch 0x8 meant.

Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  08:26:59  Show Profile
BitsyX 4.10.23, 1.07

To add to the confusion...

Switch 1 ON, switch 2 ON - output reports setting 0x9
Switch 1 OFF, switch 2 ON - output reports setting 0x5

The last known HWT loaded onto the BitsyX had a setting of 0x00000009 for the boot switch

Switch 1 ON, switch 2 ON; HWT on card with boot switch set to 0x4. HWT loaded, boot switch reported as 0x4. Debug menu.

I did not expect the debug menu. According to Topic 983 "BitsyX and AGX system will read a virtual DIP switch setting from ADSLOAD.HWT if both switches are off and no bootable image is found on an inserted ATA card." There was a card inserted. It did not have a bootable image. Both switches were not off.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  15:09:18  Show Profile
Susan,

Take a look again at Topic 983. I've updated it for BitsyX behavior with Bootloader version 1.07.
Go to Top of Page

nghia

36 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  09:46:44  Show Profile
Hi,

Is it possible that I can read the BootSwitch states from the application software ?

Thank
Nghia
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  15:59:15  Show Profile
Thanks for your question, Nghia. Take a look at our response at topic 1216.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000