Hardware issue? (can't read flash)
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

jmonza

4 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  16:36:32  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am working with Windows CE on a Graphics Client Plus board. One particular board was working fine until one time I booted it up, and it gave me the following error:

==========
I can't read Intel Manufacture ID (0x890089)
I read ID=0x890010
Hardware register values not found in flash
===========

Two boards in a row gave me this error. I tried reflashing the CE image (nkload.bin), but it gave me the same error, and wouldn't flash anything. When in the debug menu, we tried erasing a block of flash, but it said the flash was not there...

I put a third GCPlus board into the box, and it booted fine. Any ideas as to the problem?

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  16:52:19  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for your post. There could be mechanical damage to the board that's making it hard to read the flash id of the chips.

Take a close look at the solder joints of flash chips U25 and U26. We sometimes see damage at the corners closest to the socketed boot ROM and the edge of the board. Mechanical stress on the GC Plus can cause the joints on these corners to crack, causing intermittent operation of the flash.

The "DA28F..." flash package used on older GC Plus systems is especially subject to mechanical stresses. Intel replaced the DA28F with the "E28F..." package a couple years ago. We haven't seen any mechanical issues with the new package.

Repair of the joints requires reflowing the solder on those pins. If you would like us to do it, please contact us for an RMA.

See the flash memory topic index for further information about flash on ADS products.
Go to Top of Page

jmonza

4 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  18:18:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for the tip. I looked, and the solder joints are indeed quite broken.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Robert Bowen

9 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2003 :  15:26:57  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am unable to copy/delete files stored on my \FlashFx Disk folder. This worked previously.

Information from Debug Port with SW1 in "Normal Boot"
======================================================

** Graphics Master Loader initializing(0x5). **

ADS Graphics Master Rom Ver. 1.79 (DRAM : 32 MB, CL:3)
(Build at 12:33:10 on Nov 28 2001)

Finding PCMCIA cards.
Reading Flash Header Size...(0x101d bytes)
Reading Flash ...(from 0x40004 to 0x41021)
Reading Hardware Table values from Flash.
===============================================

Any suggestions?

-Robert Bowen
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2003 :  16:33:48  Show Profile  Email Poster
Have you tried formatting the FlashFX Disk? Run erasefxdisk.exe or fmtfxdisk.exe (which one you have depends on the CE image) from your \Windows folder.
Go to Top of Page

Robert Bowen

9 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  09:06:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
You guys are good! I did the Erase Flash disk and all is well. Not sure why it all of a sudden was unable to copy/delete file(s) to FlashDisk directory. Anyway.. Thanks again!

-Robert
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000