Determining files/reg entries performed by CAB
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

KnowledgeBase

296 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  16:53:05  Show Profile  Email Poster
Q: How can I find out what files and registry entries are created by the CAB installation process?

Try following these steps:
  1. Create an ActiveSync connection. Because you may be transferring a lot of data(~300kB), we recommend an Ethernet connection.

2. Using the remote registry editor (in the MS eMbedded Tools), save a copy of the device's registry to your PC.

3. At the command prompt of the device, type "dir \ /on /s /a > dir.txt". This will create a list all the files stored on your system.

4. Copy the dir.txt file to the same PC folder as you saved the device's registry file.

5. Run the installation application.

6. Repeat steps 2 - 4, using a different file name for the registry and directory files.

7. Compare the registry and directory files for differences. Windows' FC and Visual Studio's WinDiff are applications commonly found on developers' systems that can perform this task.

------------------
ADS Knowledge Base

Edited by knowledgebase 28-Jun-02: Add CAB link & approx. amount of data.

steve

28 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:05:30  Show Profile  Email Poster
> Using the remote registry editor (in the MS eMbedded Tools), save a copy of the device's registry to your PC.

Where is this tool in Visual Studio 2003? Is there another way of doing it?
Thanks,
-Patrick
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:10:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
Visual Studio 2003 does not have a Remote Registry Editor, however you can still use the remote editor from eVB 3.0, eVC 3.0 or eVC 4.0.

As for other methods, you could write your own tool that does the comparison either on the device or using RAPI, but simply diffing the two reg files created by the Remote Registry Editor is by far the simplest way I've found.
Go to Top of Page

steve

28 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:46:44  Show Profile  Email Poster
I wasn't able to get the eVC3 one to function. It doesn't recognize my ActiveSync connection, telling me to check the underlying transport.
Any common answer to it?
-Patrick
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:57:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
All of the tools be default will attempt to connect to the previously connected device. Make sure that you choose the correct device from the connection options.

Also, it is important to know that the 4.1 devices do not enumerate as an HPC 2000, so if you haven't installed an ADS CE.NET BSP yet, you will need to do so.
Go to Top of Page

steve

28 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  11:51:27  Show Profile  Email Poster
Ok, well, I had been hoping to avoid it, but I went ahead and put on eVC 4 and the Platform Builder, and the service packs, and the "ADS CE.NET BSP". Now things seem more hopeful. I can get the tools to connect to the device, but then they don't do any work, coming back with "Cannot find appropriate device side files associated with this tool". I don't know if this is referring to all the files it just sent over when the connection was made, or if there is more to be installed? Messages like this happen with ALL of the remote tools.
Thanks,
-Patrick

Edited by - steve on 23 May 2003 11:57:02
Go to Top of Page

steve

28 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  17:03:11  Show Profile  Email Poster
I was willing to try this, because it seems important, but all I've ended up with is a busted Activesync connection that no longer works. Isn't this something that all of your managed code customers need? The Compact Framework is essential to CE.NET, please add it to the builds.
Thanks,
-Patrick
Go to Top of Page

esavolle

31 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  05:58:46  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi
I tried too to use Remote Registry Tools from eVC4 SP2 to save BitsyX CE 4.1's regitry. And i had the same problem as Patrick had : "Cannot find appropriate device side files associated with this tool". And so on with all the other tools.

I failed to find a solution.

In his next post, Patrick talks about the Compact Framework being essential to CE.NET. Should i conclude that Compact Framework is needed to Remote Tools being able to work ? And that Compact Framework isn't included in ADS builds?

If you have an answer, thanks to post it because i'm a bit confused
Eric
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  09:17:57  Show Profile  Email Poster
The Compact Framework is not necessary for using any of the Remote Tools from eVC. You do have to have an SDK for your device installed.

For example, with the BitsyX follow these steps:

1. Make sure you have an active ActiveSync connection with the device
  2. From eVC select Tools | Remote Registry Editor
  3. When the editor launches, it may automatically try to connect to the last used device. If not, it will present a "Select a Windows CE Device" dialog
  4. Select the "IABITSYX Device" under the "IABITSYX" platform node. If the node doesn't exist, you need to install the SDK
  5. Click OK and the editor will connect to the device, adding a node for the device in the left tree view
Go to Top of Page

esavolle

31 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  09:28:54  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for your answer.
I have installed BitsyX SDK for CE 4.1.
I can connect to the device either with ActiveSync or Manual Server (with cemgrc.exe).
But with each remote tools i have the same answer after the connection : "Cannot find appropriate device side files associated with this tool".
Maybe some files are missing from my build image.
But nowhere i can find a description of the required files associated with the remote tools.
If you know the answer, thanks a lot for you post

Eric
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  10:18:42  Show Profile  Email Poster
This is a direct quote from a Newsgroup post that addresses this problem:

From: Ritchie Hughes [MS] (ritchieh@take-this-out.microsoft.com)
Subject: RE: eVC++ SP2 breaks remote tools
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc
Date: 2003-08-18 16:22:56 PST

There are two issues here, both of which are known problems.

First, the links to the Remote Tools are updated when SP2 is installed so
that they point to the wce420 versions. However, 4.0 and 4.1
devices/emulators require earlier versions of the tools. The earlier
versions of the tools have the same filenames but are located in the parent
directory:

+ Program Files\
+ Common Files\
+ Microsoft Shared\
+ Windows CE Tools\
+ Platman\
+ bin\ <-- 4.0/4.1 versions here
+ wce420\ <-- 4.2 versions here

To fix this issue, update or create new shortcuts on the Tools menu via
"Tools > Customize... > Tools".

A second problem occurs if you have installed SP2 on top of eVC4 without
first installing SP1. In this scenario the tools in "bin" are the versions
from Platform Manager 4.0. The SP1 installer upgrades these to 4.1 (which
is compatible with 4.0 devices) and but the SP2 installs the 4.2 tools
side-by-side (because they are not compatible with 4.0/4.1).

To fix this scenario I recommend that you uninstall SP2 and then install
SP1 and SP2 in order.

Go to Top of Page

esavolle

31 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2003 :  03:26:31  Show Profile  Email Poster
thanks
that was the problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend