All Forums
 Hardware
 Displays
 Power backlight inverter directly from battery?
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

doctalk

13 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2002 :  17:24:27  Show Profile  Email Poster
I'd like to power the backlight in my system directly from a battery. Do you have any recommendations for inverters that work over the range of 5 to 9 V?

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2002 :  17:56:37  Show Profile  Email Poster
Most backlight inverters are designed for 12VDC inputs. Some work with 5V, but I don't know of any that work with the range you need in your application (some publish 0-15V ranges, but brightness varies in proportion to the input voltage). Here are a couple solutions:

5V Backlight Inverters

If you use a DC-to-DC converter to power the backlight inverter, you could use any one of the following 5V backlight inverters (these would work for the 6.4-inch LQ64D343 display we currently use with our systems):
  • Taiyo Yuden (formerly Xentek) LS655; has different input connector than ADS boards

• Linfinity LXM1622-05-01; uses 8-pin Molex input connector, different from ADS

• ERG E1957: not dimmable

• You can get datasheets for these at the manufacturer sites listed at this topic. If power consumption on your system is an issue, make sure that you use a very high efficiency converter.

12V Battery and Inverter

Another approach is to use a 12V battery. Many of the 12V inverters have a wider input voltage range (either 10 or 20% tolerance) than the 5V inverters (usually 5% input tolerance). This would allow direct connection to most 12V battery types.

Drew Kidder
    ADS Technology Transfer
    Go to Top of Page
      Topic  
     Forum Locked
     Send Topic to a Friend
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000