CopyFile slow on BitsyX
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  12:25:55  Show Profile  Email Poster
We are porting a WinCE 3.0 application to WinCE 4.0; from Bitsy image 3.20, ROM 1.75, to BitsyX image 4.10.23, ROM 1.07.

When setting up our devices for our users, our loader program copies the device application from the PCMCIA card to FlashFx Disk using the CopyFile API. The actual device application which runs on the Bitsy takes approximately 40 seconds to copy. Since we do this in-house, it is an acceptable time. (Our users need only reinstall software when a new version is released. At that time our loader program displays a message that the install will take approximately 40 seconds so our users are aware.)

As I said earlier, the application is in the process of being ported to the BitsyX, image 4.10.23, ROM 1.07. Install time has increased. My gut feeling was that the CopyFile was somehow the culprit.

I wrote a small stub ADSLoad program which merely spits out the time to debug, performs a CopyFile, then logs the time once again to debug immediately after the CopyFile has completed.

The stub ADSLoad was compiled for the BitsyX, and executed 26 times, with an average CopyFile time of 115 seconds. The same stub ADSload program was compiled for the Bitsy, and executed (a mere) 10 times, with an average CopyFile time of 27 seconds. This is a 425% (27 to 115, 27 * 425%) increase in the time it takes to copy a file on the BitsyX compared to the Bitsy.

(The file that was being copied was not the device application, but some other smaller file.)

We use CopyFile extensively in our applications.

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  08:10:57  Show Profile  Email Poster
Looks like 4.10.27 also cleared up this problem...
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000