evb databases
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

mhuman1

36 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  15:51:00  Show Profile  Email Poster
I have been using property databases and visual C++ on my GCP system.

What sort of database do most people use when using evb? ADO with
SQLCE or maybe a mini version of Access??

Does this vary if your system needs to connect to a desktop rather than always being stand-alone??

The same question goes to pocket pcs. It would be nice to be structuring my databases in the same manner as I would if developing for pocket pcs..

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  00:45:13  Show Profile  Email Poster
With eVB you essentially have two relational database choices: SQL Server for CE (SSCE) or Pocket Access. Pocket Access is inherent in all CE builds, and SSCE is in most of our CE 3.0 builds. Which you choose would depend largely on the amount of data you will be storing, the need for server connectivity and licensing costs.

Pocket Access is good for smaller data sets that will be used only on the device or synchronized with ActiveSync to a single desktop PC. They have limits on columns, rows, indexes and some other areas (search the Microsoft newsgroups for more). On the plus size, it's guaranteed to be there, it's free, and it easy to set up a synchonization partnership.

SSCE is much faster, has no limitations on size, and can synchronize with an enterprise SQL Server 2000 database. It does, however, follow standard SQL Server licensing when connected to an enterprise server, so you need a CAL for every client, or a per-processor license on the server.
Go to Top of Page

wiblake@tycoint.com

17 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  11:51:00  Show Profile  Email Poster
On my Graphics Client, I would like to use ActiveSync Synchronize a Pocket Access database with Desktop Access. The ActiveSync Options for the Graphics Client show PocketAccess as "Not Installed." For other Windows CE devices I use, ActiveSync Options show support for synchronizing Pocket Access, Contacts, and Favorites.

An entry in the WCESMGR.LOG file says
"Warning: Object Type 'Microsoft Table' is not installed on the device"

"Warning: Object Type 'HPC Favorite' is not installed on the device"

Do I need to change builds of the Graphics Client to allow Pocket Access synchronization between the desktop and the Graphics Client?
Thanks again,
Wil Blake

Edited by - wiblake@tycoint.com on 22 May 2004 14:05:06
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  09:16:19  Show Profile  Email Poster
What ADS build number are you currently using?
Go to Top of Page

wiblake@tycoint.com

17 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  11:04:01  Show Profile  Email Poster
I think that I have Graphics Client Build 3.42 11/22/2002. This build seemed to offer ADO, the Web Server, and SQLCE.

Paste of debug output:

Booting from Flash.
Reading Flash Header Size...(0xc4e793 bytes)
Reading Flash ...(from 0x100004 to 0xd4e797)

CE starts From DRAM(0xc8300000)
Windows CE Kernel for ARM Built on Jun 28 2002 at 10:38:45
ProcessorType=0b11 Revision=8
sp_abt=ffff5000 sp_irq=ffff2800 sp_undef=ffffc800
Windows CE image was built at 11:02:50 Nov 22 2002.
Initializing Ethernet debug services.
Sp=ffffc7d0
InitializeJit
FlashFX Disk Detected: Ver 5.10 (Build 492)
Ethernet Detected : SMC91C96.
SMARTIO Detected : PartType:0x4434 Firmware:0x4017 Revision :H
UCB1200 Detected : ID = 0x1004
Failed to get RTC by SIOReadRTC

Microsoft Windows CE Ver. 3.0 (build 126)

ADS GCPlus Windows CE Ver.(3.42)

Thanks.

Edited by - wiblake@tycoint.com on 24 May 2004 13:12:08
Go to Top of Page

wiblake@tycoint.com

17 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  12:07:37  Show Profile  Email Poster
My goal is to have either an ODBC or ADO connection to the CDB database, and to have the CE Web server display a page using the connection. A DSN will define an ODBC connection, or a UDL connection would provide the ADO interface to database for the ASP page served by the Web Server.
Thanks again,
Wil Blake
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  12:46:02  Show Profile  Email Poster
So you want to have a CDB on the device accessed by the HTTPD Server on the device and serve data from it onto locally hosted web pages, correct?

The best option is probably going to be to use an ISAPI Extension that uses ADOCE to pull the data.

How will the CDB data get to the device? Do you plan to use ActiveSync to synchronize the data from a PC? CE doesn't support a generic ODBC provider and it doesn't have any concept of a DSN - you have to.

Feel free to email us directly for more detail and clarification.
Go to Top of Page

wiblake@tycoint.com

17 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  13:18:23  Show Profile  Email Poster
An application on the Graphics Client plus will update the CEDB using the WindowsCE database calls.

I would like to use ActiveSync sychronization to MS Access but I get the ActiveSync wcesmgr.log file errors described in a previous post "Microsoft Table is not installed on the device."
Have I done something wrong? Can a Pocket Access CEDB on the GCPlus synchronize to an Access DB on the partner PC?

Thanks again,
Wil Blake

Edited by - wiblake@tycoint.com on 28 May 2004 15:30:13
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000