SQL ce database?
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

mhuman1

36 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  14:58:13  Show Profile  Email Poster
Since CDB databases are not supported under .net cf,(Unless you go to third party sources) it seems that the best format for a database on my GCP and a pocket pc with .net cf is SQL CE.

Do you think this is what most GCP and pocket Pc devlopers are doing?
Is this the "standard" way?

I guess the other alternative is to use C++ 4.0 and open and close the CDB databases that way. I was hoping to get away from this for speed of development. Are most people needing only small databases using C++??

Again,I have my product developed in c++ 3.0 with CE 3.0 and I would really like to gain the benifts of using VB.net.

Thanks,
Keith Stallings

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  15:15:34  Show Profile  Email Poster
The amount of data, and the need for a relational architecture greatly affects what you would want to use. I've seen CE apps with almost every type of data storage, some of which are below:

XML works for small data sets, but is pretty slow to parse and gets really big really fast.

SQL CE has a query engine and is great for large amounts of data, and have full .NET classes available.

Flat comma-separated-value (CSV) files work fast and efficiently for small data sets.

The registry works well for small amounts of data like app configurations.

The CEDB database has size limitations, but performs well when indexed and has a query engine for relational data.
Go to Top of Page

thompsonco

4 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2003 :  15:19:55  Show Profile  Email Poster
We are using SQL CE on a new application and find that is very slow. We use it as a data exchange medium and hard coded the searches we need to do fast. I does work, however, and I expect lots of PC based developers will start doing Pocket PC applications with it.

I still have not gotten it to load correctly from a cold boot without manual intervention. That would be a good subject for an application note.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000