100BT Ethernet sometimes fails on AGX
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  16:18:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
The on-board ethernet on my AGX fails to connect or get a DHCP address from my server when I have a cable connected to J9. With a packet sniffer I can see traffic going out, but the device just never seems to get anything back. This occurs with different version of the operating system on multiple AGX boards. What's going on?

The AGX design brings the ethernet signal lines to connector J9 as well as to the on-board RJ-45 socket. This is designed to allow repositioning the RJ-45 socket off board. However, if you have a cable attached to J9, the capacitance of the unconnected Ethernet wires is sufficient to disrupt the Ethernet physical interface controller when running at 100 Mbps.

Solutions

If you attach a cable to J9, we recommend either disconnecting wires from pins 17 to 24, or running the Ethernet at 10 Mbps.

In Windows CE, you can force the AGX Ethernet to run at 10 Mbps with the following registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\SMC91C111]
"Speed100Mbps"=dword:0 ; 1 for 100 Mbps, 0 for 10 Mbps
"Autonegotiation"=dword:0 ; 0 disables Auto-negotiation

The Linux Ethernet driver does not currently allow forcing 10BT, so leave the Ethernet wires disconnected on any cables leading from J9.

Edited by akidder 8-Dec-2004: Add notes about Linux. Moved from General CE forum to Hardware forum.

OCAS1

6 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  12:25:09  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hello!

I have setup our AGX to 10 Mbps and disabled auto negotiation as described above. It does not seems to have any effect (I have read back registry to verify that the settings are persistent after restart too).

The problem is that pinging works partly (about 35% of the pings get reply). This is typical behavious when using 100 Mbps.

When I force my PC to 10 Mbps too, everything works fine. All the pings get replies!!

We would really like to force 10 Mbps on the AGX-boards. Are you aware of this problem? Is there any solution?

Best rgds,
Tom Roar Pedersen
Go to Top of Page

BCM

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  14:38:55  Show Profile
Hi there.

I added the code to my registry file to force 10Mbps, but I find that the autonegotiation does not get disabled. Running regedit also shows that autonegotatiation was not disabled. In looking at regedit in the drivers, I noticed that there is an autonegotiate in the LAN91C111 driver as well as in the SMC91C111 and I am wondering if that is somehow fouling things up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Mansfield
Go to Top of Page

grenierm

133 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  16:58:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
This issue was resolved by re-flashing the board with an adsload.reg that used the auto-negotiation keys with the LAN91C111 driver and commented out the auto-negotiation keys for the SMC91C111 driver.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  16:07:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
The keys we used in this AGX application were the following:

;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\SMC91C111]
; "Speed100Mbps"=dword:0 ; 1 for 100 Mbps, 0 for 10 Mbps
; "Autonegotiation"=dword:0 ; 0 disables Auto-negotiation

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\LAN91C111]
"Speed100Mbps"=dword:0 ; 1 for 100 Mbps,0 for 10 Mbps
"Autonegotiation"=dword:0 ; 0,for disabling Auto negotiation
Go to Top of Page