ComTerm Lockup for Com4:
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

alintz

12 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  07:42:08  Show Profile  Email Poster
We tried to use the Rev 6 ComTerm program at topic 256 on a BitsyX running CE 4.20. It locks up the BitsyX after displaying "Opening Com1:" on the debug port. Same problem described in topic 256 by Susan. We found that if we modified the source code so that it only tries to open Com1: Com2: and Com3: it works fine. As written by ADS, the program seems to attempt to open Com1: through Com9:.

Our own application is also having trouble when we try to open ports that may not exist. So, we would like to understand what is going on here. Can anyone help?

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  08:48:12  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks, alintz. Can you let us know which build of CE you're using? (4.20.xx) We can look at the COMTERM app to see what's going on.
Go to Top of Page

alintz

12 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  09:16:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
We are using 4.20.12.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  10:57:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
We tested here and don't see the problem you're describing.

Our test setup:
- BitsyX + Ethernet personality board
- CE 4.20.12-RAM build (#700115-01076)
- 700110-0700D configuration files (included with build 4.20.12 on the selector)
- COMTERM v6 (16-Apr-03 9:24am 21,504 bytes ARMV4Rel folder)

Can you try this configuration (personality board shouldn't matter) and see if the problem persists?
Go to Top of Page

alintz

12 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  16:48:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
My setup is:
-BitsyX with my own connector board - no Ethernet, no touchscreen, usb mouse.
-CE 4.20.12 build 700115-01076
-I edited my configuration files to be as close to yours as possible. Only differences are:
my adsload.hwt file has
0xA1E30014 0x0000001 ; Number of PCMCIA Sockets
yours is set to 2, and all the display registers match my vga display. In the adsload.reg only differences are enable mouse cursor and palette reverse. Still same result when I execute COMTerm.exe - no menus and Win CE locks up.

Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  16:53:29  Show Profile  Email Poster
I don't know that we can reproduce your setup. I don't expect the display driver settings to affect the COM port drivers. Could you try with an ADS personality board and the mouse disabled?

Also, can you verify that you are using the same COMTERM.EXE as we tested with? There are three COMTERM apps in the distribution, one of which is of uncertain pedigree. Use the one in the ARMV4Rel folder.
Go to Top of Page

kurtwl

28 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  04:25:40  Show Profile  Email Poster
ComTerm.exe from the ARMV4Rel directory has the same 'lockup'.

If ports[] in serial.h only includes COM1:,COM2: and COM3: then everything is OK. Adding COM4:, when stepping through the code in the debugger, the HANDLE returned by CreateFile (in CheckPorts) appears to be valid, ie it is not 0, not INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE and < MAXDWORD.

Putting a GetLastError() immediately after the CreateFile returns 87 (Invalid Parameter) regardless of whether the COMX was 'good' or 'bad'.

The lockup occurs in the CloseHandle() within CheckPorts.

This was using BitsyX Windows CE Ver. 4.20.08
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  17:32:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for the added detail. However, your recent post adds some uncertainty about what build you've been using for test.

You first reported you were using 4.20.12, but in your last post you write that it's 4.20.08. Can you clarify? It'll help if you can run your tests against the current release of CE for the BitsyX. 4.20.08 is from June of last year, and from the looks of our test, this issue was resolved.

Is there a chance that your hardware might be acting like the quad UART personality board (topic 1293)? The quad UART design has a CPLD that identifies the board type, so it's unlikely, but I thought I'd check just to make sure.

Let us know if the updated build resolves the issue.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000