Personality C22 voltage rating too low
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

scottpotter

7 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  11:47:34  Show Profile  Email Poster
I recently had a failure of C22 on the personality board. The board worked for many weeks when connected to a 12 Volt bench top supply, but when I switched to a car battery, the part blew like a firecracker . I looked at the spec for this part and found that it is rated at only 10 Volts. the car battery voltage can be as high as 13.8 Volts, which explains the pyrotechnics. Even the regulated 12 Volt power supply that ships with the Bitsy X exceeds the 10V rating, so I thought I would point this out.

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  12:30:34  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for pointing this out. The bill of material for the Bitsy personality board (posted at topic 408) lists C22 as a 20V part. It's possible that your board had a 10V part stuffed, but not likely--tantalums blow up dramatically when you hit their rated voltage.

If you are planning to use the BitsyX in an automotive system, beware. Voltage spikes an automotive systems easily hit 18V or more. The BitsyX is rated for 15V, with an absolute max of 18V. After that you'll start blowing caps like this one.

If you think the wrong part was populated on your personality board, you might return it to us for repair. Information about returns is posted at topic 1476. Let us know how we can help.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000