File transfers
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

magene

6 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  20:20:32  Show Profile
I'm using a Bitsy Xb (and maybe a G5 in the future) in an oceanographic instrument that gets deployed underwater. I'd like to be able to transfer data files from the Xb's CF and USB disk drives to a laptop using the Ethernet port so I can use a longer cable than USB can support. Seems like I should be able to add the Xb to my laptop's network and share files but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this without first making an Activesync connection over the USB port. Once the Xb is installed in the pressure housing, connections have to made through special (and expensive) oceanographic connectors so I'd like to limit the number of wires I have to bring out of the pressure housing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Gene

ljoy

22 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  10:26:53  Show Profile  Email Poster
Maybe TCP/IP debugging at topic 25 will help.
Go to Top of Page

magene

6 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  15:13:49  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion. This may be the answer to my problem but I'm using Visual Studio 2005 not Embedded Visual C++. I'm not sure where in VS2005 I can find "Configure Platform Manger". The closest menu item I can find is Tools...Options...Device Tools... Devices. I can "Select TCP/IP Transport" and set a "Fixed Port" value of 5000. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to select "Manual Server" or a "Test" button so I can't complete the steps. Even if I can, can I run the "CEMBRC" command automatically at startup? I won't have access to the Xb keyboard or display when my system is deployed. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  16:29:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
There are more up-to-date mechanisms available. Studio '05 and '08 use CoreCon for connectivity (as opposed to PlatMan, which the TCP/IP debugging topic talks about). It's going to require that conmanclient2.exe be run on the target at startup, but that's fairly trivial to achieve. There is reasonable web coverage on CoreCon - search for "Debug without ActiveSync" to get started.

You could use the Remote Tools framework from Microsoft (which rides atop CoreCon) to abstract out the usage for something other than just debugging.

All that said, why not just give the device a static IP, enable the FTP server with its root as the device root (or whatever file you want) and just use a crossover cable to a PC that you give an IP in the same subnet to? That seems about as close to out-of-the-box as you'll get. If you need more device control you could also enable the Telnet server.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000