All Forums
 Hardware
 Ethernet, IR, Serial, CAN and high speed data
 Garbage data on serial port (Bitsy, GC Plus)
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  15:47:08  Show Profile  Email Poster
Q: I see a lot of garbage data on Bitsy Serial 1 during boot (and even sometimes when I'm using the touch panel). What's going on?

This issue is corrected with the latest boot code. The updated boot leaves the serial transmit lines in a stable, idle state when the serial ports are not in use.

Although this issue doesn't show up in all Bitsy systems, consider updating your system with the latest boot code if you are planning to use the Bitsy serial ports.

You can download the appropriate boot code from the Bitsy CE files topic or (available soon) from the Linux boot loader topic.

-----------------------
Drew Kidder
ADS Technology Transfer

DyneBoy

1 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  17:05:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
I just finished debugging this same issue with the Graphics Client Plus boards. For some reason, I am just starting to see this same phenomena show up in some boards. I made some small modifications to the sofware on the other end of the serial connection in order to more quickly recover from the onslaught of garbage data bytes at powerup. Not a big deal.

All boards have boot code version 1.76; however, not all boards have this problem. Some boards just output a byte or two at powerup while the offending boards spray out 10 to 15 thousand bytes.

Is this acceptable? Or do these boards have a legitimate problem that requires repair?

Thanks
Dan
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2003 :  18:56:42  Show Profile  Email Poster
I shared the following information with Dan. However, GC Plus boot ROM 1.81, which ships on our current GC Plus systems, corrects this issue.
The variation in the results you're seeing between GC Plus systems may be manufacturing differences in the serial buffers we use. You might compare the part numbers, manufacturers and date codes of U29, U30 and U31, the serial buffers for Serial 1-3, respectively (the date code would be something like 3202, indicating it was manufactured in the 32nd week of 2002). We found that different batches and manufacturers of the same part acted differently. This might help you separate boards that might give you more problems than others.

Edited by akidder 4-Feb-2004: Add link to GC Plus boot ROM post.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000