Upgrade GraphicsMaster from CE3.0 to CE.NET
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

dorgant

46 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  20:06:21  Show Profile
Hello,

This is my first post, I just go the development kit today. I would like to upgrade from the installed Windows CE 3.0 to CE.NET as our prototype application requires IE 5.5 and, later, WebServices.

I have downloaded the zip file image 700110-9120B_GM32_CE.NET_v412_15MB.zip

I have also read the Getting Started and WinCE Developers Guide. The Developers guide seems a little outdated.

I found section 6 in the Getting Started Guide, "The ADS Boot Files" and read about updating my development system.

The document talks about NKLOAD.BIN, the CE Image file. This file is included in the zip file containing the images.

Then follow instructions regarding modifying the ADSLOAD.HWT and ADSLOAD.REG for the image. That seems ok. I am guessing that I have a 15MB Image and 32MB ram. But the CE.BIB file in the image zip looks like it might be an updated replacement for ADSLOAD.HWT and REGEDIT.INI looks like it may be a replacement for the ADSLOAD.REG file.

My question is what files do I place in the root directory of the FLASH to update CE.Net and are the files in the zip set up correctly for my (default) development system? comments in the ce.bib file MEMORY section indicate 32MB DRAM and 15MB CE image.

Thanks,
Tom Dorgan.

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  09:18:52  Show Profile
Tom,

We realize the CE Developers Guide is a bit outdated and are working on it. We do, however, have a better, more recent description of the upgrade process in the Developer's Getting Started Guide.

Since you've just gotten your system, we also highly recommend that you peruse the ADS Support Portal (also available by clicking ADS image at the upper left of all forum pages). It has a menu that organizes the Forum information and provides an easier route to finding all of the startup information you might need.
Go to Top of Page

dorgant

46 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  20:05:28  Show Profile
Ok, I have read (and re-read) these documents. What I have learned is that if I download incorrectly, I will need to send my system back to be repaired. I don't want to do that.

I admit, I still need some advice on putting the CE.Net image on a GraphicsMaster system that is currently at CE 3.0. I dont find references on what to do with the files in the download 700110-9120B_GM32_CE.NET_v412_15MB.zip file.

I have the debugger hooked up and used the MASTER LOADER to make the recommended backups.

So, do I just put my existing ADSLOAD.REG and ADSLOAD.HWT and the CE.Net NKLOAD.BIN onto the flash card, put it in the machine in its PC Card Adapter sleeve, set the DIP switches to Sealed Box Upgrade and boot it?
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  09:18:24  Show Profile
Tom,

First, don't fear. The Graphics Master has a separate physical part that holds the boot ROM and it's impossible for you to accidentally erase it in this process (unlike the Bitsy family of devices). If you make a mistake, the worst that can happen is the device won't boot to CE and you'll just have to try again.

Second, if you look at the CE Image Downloads Page you'll see that you can download both the image and the configuration files for your system.

You are correct on the process. When you are ready to upgrade, put NKLOAD.BIN, ADSLOAD.REG and ADSLOAD.HWT on an ATA card, insert it in the device, set the switches and hit the reset button.

The ce.bib and reginit.ini file are simply files generated when the image is generated. These files are provided to give those interested more detailed information about the actual contents of the image (NKLOAD.BIN).
Go to Top of Page

dorgant

46 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  17:02:36  Show Profile
All right. I tried it with my existing HWT and REG files and got the LdrMoveRamToFlash error. I then downloaded those files from the website and succeeded. Great! Seems to be working fine.

I notice one error message:
ADSLOAD.EXE(do-nothing build): Complete
Couldn't find the file : \Windows\pvbload.exe

I was wondering if this was important.
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  17:04:58  Show Profile
Nope. The ADSLOAD.EXE message is output by the default ADSLOAD.EXE app, meaning it did nothing (but ran).

The pvbload.exe error can be eliminated by changing the following key in ADSLOAD.REG to zero:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Platform\LaunchApps]
"LaunchVB"=dword:0
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000