SIOBacklightOff on BitsyX
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

dbrisbois

27 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  15:57:05  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am using a BitsyX loaded with CE kernel 4.10.19 and SMARTIO part type=0x8535 Firmware=0x0010 Revision=2. I have found that both the /BACKLIGHTON and the PNL_ENA signals toggle when SIOBacklightOff or SIOBacklightOn is called. In other words, whenever the backlight is shut off, the panel is disabled. Is this intentional?

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  16:32:22  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks, David. Yes, this is a feature of the BitsyX ADSmartIO.
Go to Top of Page

dbrisbois

27 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  16:34:10  Show Profile  Email Poster
How do we shut off only the backlight, through the PWM?
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  19:19:10  Show Profile  Email Poster
Beginning with Bitsy Plus, the backlight on/off driver disables the display driver when the backlight is turned off. This provides optimal power reductions when the display is not in use.

However, David's application is using a transflective display. They want to keep the display running when in daylight, but turn off the backlight to save power. The existing driver makes this a little tough.

In upcoming builds, we will add a registry key that will allow applications to leave the display on when the backlight is turned off. For now, a workaround might be to use the backlight PWM function to dim the backlighting to 0%.

p.s. David rightly posted this question under the Hardware--ADSmartIO forum, but now that we know it's a CE build issue, I'm moving it to the CE Drivers forum.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2003 :  10:24:35  Show Profile  Email Poster
Drew,

This is also an issue with us. Has the registry key been added?
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  12:16:30  Show Profile  Email Poster
The SIOBacklightPwm() function no longer works on the BitsyX (4.10.30, ROM 1.07) 621115-0000A with ADS mods. SIOBacklightOff() can't be used since it still disables the display driver.

We went to the SIOBacklightPwm() function successfully on 5Sep. It is not something I test everyday. I suspect I was using 4.10.23 or 4.10.17 at that time.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  11:45:48  Show Profile  Email Poster
#PanelEnable

Hi Susan. Sorry we dropped responding to this one.

We added a key for the CE ADSmartIO driver that determines whether the display turns off when the backlight turns off, or not. Try adding the following key with the PanelEnable value set to 1. This should be available in builds 4.10.33 and later.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Platform\Smartio]
  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\Smartio]
    "PanelEnable"=dword:1  ; 0=display turns off with backlight
                           ; 1=panel remains enabled when backlight is
                           ;   off (e.g. for transflective dipslays)

ak 12:45pm: Clarifying from Susan's post below, use the BuiltIn key for your applications.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

123 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  12:13:28  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Drew,

Running 4.10.36/1.10 now. Added the above key to ADSLoad.reg. Using SIOBacklightPwm(0) and SIOBacklightPwm(100) to set the backlight on and off. Still not working. Verified via Remote Registry Editor that the key was in the Registry.

Offline (13Jan04) I was given the key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\Smartio]
"PanelEnable"=dword:1 ; 1 for panel enable while back light OFF

That key also exists in the registry.

Backlight remains on.

OK. So I'm supposed to go back to using the original functions, SIOBacklightOn(), SIOBacklightOff()? Will try that now.

That worked. Thank you.

And, as you probably know, either key alone does the trick. Is one key a 'better' key?

Thanks again.

Edited by - Susan on 12 Feb 2004 12:46:01
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000