Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

KnowledgeBase

296 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2002 :  21:54:47  Show Profile  Email Poster
USB ActiveSync Driver for PC

Windows 7 and Vista
Do NOT install ActiveSync. If you did, uninstall it.

1. Download and install "Windows Mobile Device Center" (aWMDC).
2. Connect your Eurotech device to the PC by your device's USB Client port.
3. Manually install the device using the "let me pick" option. Choose "Mobile Device", "Microsoft", "Microsoft USB Sync". Ignore the warning that the driver is not recommended.

Thanks to mcmarlburg, 1-Apr-2010, for these instructions.

Windows XP
The following driver installs on your PC. It allows you to connect your ADS device to a PC and run ActiveSync over USB. Includes USBview app for PC troubleshooting.

Make sure to follow the installation instructions included with the package.

USB ActiveSync driver for PC, StrongARM products (ZIP 45kB)
USB ActiveSync driver for PC, XScale products (topic)

For more about ActiveSync on ADS products, see the ActiveSync topic index.

------------------
ADS Knowledge Base

Edited by akidder 13-may-2002: add note about USBview
Edited by akidder 30-Jan-2003: add link for XScale
Edited by akidder 12-Jan-2011: Add instructions for Windows 7/Vista and WMDC
Edited by akidder 18-Jan-2011: Remove wceusb.sys from zip file; change file link

85 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2002 :  14:01:38  Show Profile  Email Poster
So, the "Found New Hardware Wizard" never appeared. Under the Device Manager, it does show up as an "Unknown Device", but when I go through the update driver 'wizard' and tell it I have a disk, and point it at the ads-provided wceusbsh.inf, it responds with a dialog titled "Select Device" with the message "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

FYI, I'm using Active Sync 3.5 on the PC successfully with an iPAQ.

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  13:46:02  Show Profile  Email Poster
What operating system are you using on your PC? We've heard reports that Windows 98 doesn't handle USB very elegantly.
Go to Top of Page

85 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:07:46  Show Profile  Email Poster
I'm using Win98SE.

Are you sure that I can use the iPAQ and the GM at the same time with ActiveSync? A stroll through the registry leads me to believe that they both use inf/sys files named 'wceusbsh' (but different dates / sizes)...
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:10:55  Show Profile  Email Poster
ActiveSync cannot be used to connect to two devices concurrently. ActiveSync can maintain partnership information for several devices at one time, but the number of actual connections at any given time can not be greater than 1.

-----------------
Chris Tacke, eMVP
Applied Data Support
Go to Top of Page

steveg

4 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  19:24:30  Show Profile  Email Poster
just thought I'd add my two bits. I had trouble getting active sync (v3.5)to work with the bitsy (v3.17 kernel) it turns out that if my debug port cable was connected to my host, active sync would not connect. also, if the usb cable was connected to my bitsy and then power was turned on the bitsy, then the host (win2k) would not recongnize the bitsy. so active sync would not work. the only way to get it to work every time
was to:

install bitsy usb driver on host, install active sync software.

1) disconnect the debug port cable.
2) disconnect the usb cable until after the bitsy is up
3) do a get connected on the host in active sync
4) quickly run replog on winCE.

I still have the following problem: if I insert a compact flash card in the bitsy or use a pcmcia flash card then wince automatically detects it and creates folders under my computer and every thing is ok. if I use usb and have active sync running between my host and wince, and then insert the flash cards, then wince does not detect it and I do not have access to the flash.
Go to Top of Page

85 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  13:25:13  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for the help & suggestions.

So, my current status is that I don't think the ADS is enumerating correctly. If I run the "USB view" program, it shows up as an "unknown device" (consistent with Window's device manager). The descriptors come up as:

Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB: 0x0000
bDeviceClass: 0x00
bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x00 (0)
idVendor: 0x0000
idProduct: 0x0000
bcdDevice: 0x0000
iManufacturer: 0x00
iProduct: 0x00
iSerialNumber: 0x00
bNumConfigurations: 0x00

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected
Current Config Value: 0x00
Device Bus Speed: Full
Device Address: 0x00
Open Pipes: 0

So, Windows appears to see the device, but this enumeration certainly isn't going to match up to the ADS .inf files (or any others)...
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  14:38:53  Show Profile  Email Poster
The Graphics Master USB client port reportedly does not work with ActiveSync. We are currently looking into the issue.
Go to Top of Page

85 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  12:15:25  Show Profile  Email Poster
The 3.28 image seems to help. Win98 recognizes it and I can get ActiveSync to work (xfer files). Unfortunately, the MS VC++ tools still aren't working. VC++ won't download and run the apps, the remote tools don't hook up. It appears they send dlls and such over, but times out "Establishing platform manager connection to device"...
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  18:02:03  Show Profile  Email Poster
We've tested again on the GMaster using the instructions above. We found ActiveSync over USB worked fine. We were able to debug an application with the eVC++ tools. (test setup: GMaster 3.28 10MB CE image, PC Windows XP).

The problem appears to lie with Windows 98.

-----------------------
Drew Kidder
ADS Technology Transfer
Go to Top of Page

85 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2002 :  11:52:24  Show Profile  Email Poster
It seems implausible that the problem is W98 if I can debug an app on an iPAQ, but not the GM...
Go to Top of Page

85 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2002 :  14:28:43  Show Profile  Email Poster
I talked to Chris Tacke and at his suggestion changed the 'Platform Manager' configuration for the GM device (an HPC2000 device) to use 'PPP' instead of 'ActiveSync'.

It works! Hurray!
Go to Top of Page

cho

1 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  08:46:35  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am having same problem as 3963. "Found New hardware Wizard" never appeared. Hardware manager's driver signing does not like the .inf file. Is there another way of installing this driver?
(Win2000)
Go to Top of Page

Guillaume

1 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  16:18:17  Show Profile  Email Poster
quote:
[i]Originally posted by 3963[/i]
[br]So, the "Found New Hardware Wizard" never appeared. Under the Device Manager, it does show up as an "Unknown Device", but when I go through the update driver 'wizard' and tell it I have a disk, and point it at the ads-provided wceusbsh.inf, it responds with a dialog titled "Select Device" with the message "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

FYI, I'm using Active Sync 3.5 on the PC successfully with an iPAQ.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem. I resolved it as follow:

Make a copy of the original wceusbsh.inf file and label it wceusbsh2.inf.
Edit the copy and change the following line:
Class=WCEUSBS
to
Class=USB

There are two drivers involved, and I think windows want to see USB as the class for the first device.

Go to Top of Page

Joelw

30 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  03:17:04  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am attempting to connect to Bitsy Plus via USB with ActiveSync to XP workstation. I am using a A to B cable.
I plug into Bitsy Plus then laptop. There is no evidence of any connection to workstation in device manager. It is acting as if there is no cable attached.

Is ActiveSync/USB supported in CE.NET build 4.12?
It is listed in PC Connection cpl as 'usbcnect'.
Go to Top of Page

tempo

26 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  16:58:16  Show Profile  Email Poster
I downloaded the USB driver for ActiveSync, and I installed the driver on PC. After that, I was able to connect to PC using USB port, following the steps stated in readme file (which came with driver download). There was some problem in my application and I had to reset the device. Now I am following the same steps, but it does not connect. When I run repllog.exe on ADS device, (when usb connection is selected), it says "You have been disconnected from the remote computer you dialed. Retry the connection".

Please suggest.

Thanks.

--Santosh
Go to Top of Page

steve

28 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  14:06:09  Show Profile  Email Poster
Is there going to be any more clarification on this topic? I've got the same problem as 3963, where it just seems as if NOTHING is happening at all.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

dlandon

5 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  11:20:34  Show Profile  Email Poster
After downloading the driver, I tried to install it on a desktop PC running Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 1 to no avail. The operating system refused to detect the driver (wceusbsh.inf) and reverted back to the original driver in the C:\windows\system32\drivers\ folder. Next, I tried the same thing on a notebook running Windows 2000 (5.00.2195 Service Pack 3)and the same thing happened.

I did modify the wceusbsh.inf file like Guillaume suggested but that effort also didn't work, I'm not sure why. How Windows XP/2000 recognizes driver files is somewhat of a mystery to me. In both cases, the operationg system did not recognize the driver files and restored the original drivers saved in the operating system folders.

We need USB working on our platform and we need this issue resolved now.

Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  15:20:18  Show Profile  Email Poster
Bug Fix: PC USB driver installation

Our team found that there was a bug in the INF file for the USB driver installation that caused problems with some PCs, especially Windows XP.

We've updated the XScale USB driver files. Please give them a try and let us know if you still have installation trouble.
Go to Top of Page

tempo

26 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  15:51:55  Show Profile  Email Poster
Tried new driver. Originally it connected ok. However after the bitsy X went to sleep and came alive again it constantly flashes connecting to usbcnect. ActiveSync shows nothing connected on the desktop and when i try to 'get connected' USB shows its status as 'error'

Using Win2K
Active Sync 3.6 (build 2.48)
Bitsy X
Go to Top of Page

tempo

26 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  14:09:34  Show Profile  Email Poster
The other thing that it does is that it allows you to create a partnership, then if you disconnect and reconnect it forces you to create a partnership again.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  14:40:19  Show Profile  Email Poster
Paul,

When the BitsyX goes to sleep the ActiveSync connection is broken to the PC and the PC detect the fact. The BitsyX, however, does not. When the system wakes back up, the device thinks it is still connected.

A future build will address this problem, but for now you must manually disconnect. To do so, bring up the ActiveSync dialog by double-tapping the connection icon in the tray and then tapping the "Disconnect" button.

If you leave the USB cable inseted in the device you will see ActiveSync on the desktop begin initiating another connection with the device. The device's USB driver, however, will not get a connection interrupt and will not automatically launch repllog.exe, so you will have to either manually run it or remove and reinsert the USB cable. This is another issue we will address in a future build.

As for the partnership issue, I've not seen this. I am able to disconnect and reconnect and it will use the same partnership information. What build are you seeing this problem with?
Go to Top of Page

tempo

26 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  14:42:47  Show Profile  Email Poster
Versions are:
Microsoft Windows CE Ver. 4.10 (build 908)

BitsyX Windows CE Ver.(4.10.17)
Go to Top of Page

MLong

19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  11:39:57  Show Profile  Email Poster
quote:
Originally posted by Guillaume

I had the same problem. I resolved it as follow:

Make a copy of the original wceusbsh.inf file and label it wceusbsh2.inf.
Edit the copy and change the following line:
Class=WCEUSBS
to
Class=USB

There are two drivers involved, and I think windows want to see USB as the class for the first device.

We just got the BitsyX. Although it had worked on a Laptop running 2K without doing this when I plugged it up to my desktop dev machine (also running 2K) it continued to use it's default winnt\inf\usb.inf file, no matter what, which always resulted in error. I made the edit in file changing WCEUSBS to USBS and tried again. Bingo. Worked immediately.

Wondering if maybe the laptop simply has more up-to-date windows service files than dekstop perhaps ?
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  11:43:21  Show Profile  Email Poster
We've still not determined exactly why the error occurs, so the recommendation is to try both methods. For example, my Win2k Server desktop PC worked fine with the driver as-is, but my newer 2003 Server desktop PC required the INF modification.
Go to Top of Page

EllenP

2 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  14:43:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
Has anyone successfully used the USB for ActiveSync with an AGX board? I'm having troubles similar to all the others on this thread and have tried all the suggestions. I'm using Windows 2000.

More Info:

When I try to install the driver, after selecting the path and wceusbsh.inf, I get:

Windows found a driver that is a closer match for this device than your current driver. (c:\winnt\inf\usb.inf).

If I pick “next”, it says:

An error occurred during the installation of the device. The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

If I get rid of the usb.inf file it found, and select the wceusbsh.inf file, I just get:

Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.

I've tried changing the class to USB and USBS. I've copied the drivers all over the place. I tried renaming the drivers USB.

Any suggestions?

Edited by - EllenP on 24 Nov 2003 08:55:54
Go to Top of Page

dtran

7 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  11:25:01  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi EllenP,

I have a DELL Inspiron 5000e Laptop with Win2K Pro, and NONE of any ActiveSync or USB Driver for Xscale install yet.
After installed, I have tested an ActiveSync via USB with my AGX board, and it's work fine.

Here is the sequence steps that I did:
- Pull down the ActiveSync 3.7.1
- Pull down the USB driver for XScale (Topic Id - 772)
- Install XScale USB ActiveSync Driver.
- Install ActiveSync 3.71
- Established the Partnership
- Lastly the Screen show connected.

I have some screen capture, if you want to see it.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  15:37:53  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Ellen: I think the problem is the cable you have. We found an error in the 610115-40011 and -40012 cables and will be getting you a corrected 610115-40013 cable within the next day or so (probably by Monday now, with the upcoming holiday). We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Go to Top of Page

Moose2

1 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  08:33:16  Show Profile  Email Poster
I have a customer attempting to use ActiveSync on Windows NT.

Has anybody had experience with this? Is the wceusbsh.inf file compatible with WinNT?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

bloo

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  16:08:31  Show Profile
Is there a way to connect the PortalBoard via USB using active sync. At the moment I'm only using the serial cable.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  10:11:50  Show Profile  Email Poster
I don't believe that USB ActiveSync works with the Portal BSP. However, direct Ethernet debugging should work well.
Go to Top of Page

rcascheri

0 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2006 :  10:19:52  Show Profile
I received BitsyX board. I installed NULL modem cable to COM3 using HP Compaq host. I installed Active Sync 4.1 and the USB Active Sync drivers. Without the driver I couldn't get connections.

Now I can get connected and get a partnership established. I am even able to get an Ethernet connection.

My problem is that the connections do not last indefinitely. The Active Sync keeps getting disconnected at random time periods. At first I thought it was a power thingy. But I tried changing the power settings to NEVER idle, NEVER enter standby etc...

At one point I was able to use the Platform Builder to obtain a remote registry connection...but this only lasted for a short period of time.

I believe that once this timeout/disconnect problem is fixed then the board will actually be useful.
Go to Top of Page

rcascheri

0 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2006 :  18:24:52  Show Profile
I called Technical Support and spoke with Brad Samuels. I explained the problems I was having with the ActiveSync staying connected. He provided me with the latest 5.0.10 CE Image for the BitsyXb boards. so I copied these files onto the 64MB flash card along with the original ADSLOAD.WHT and ADSLOAD.REG files (these were located in the Temp directory). I modified the power timeouts to NOT timeout. This appears to work with the ActiveSync 4.1 software. I am able to connect to the target ADS board using Platform Builder 5.0 and Visual Studio 5.0. I'm using a USB connection. The Ethernet connection didn't appear to work, but I believe that is because it is disabled from working for security reasons?

In platform builder the remote tools appear to be working...so far. I have tried the Process Viewer, the Remote Registry Editor.

Thanks for the help Brad!

Go to Top of Page

rdall

16 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  18:08:04  Show Profile  Email Poster
Using wceusbsh.sys 4.0.4232.0, Bitsy Xb, developing with VS2005.

I have a frequent problem where the target system hangs, usually part way through transferring a large file (eg. 4MB). It is then necessary to hard reset the target system before active sync will start working again. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  18:37:56  Show Profile  Email Poster
You have enough space allocated for Storage Memory (in the Memory Control Panle Applet)? If this is too small it can cause RAPI to hang.
Go to Top of Page

rdall

16 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  11:18:05  Show Profile  Email Poster
As I understand it, the downloaded app goes into storage memory- of which there is plenty. I am unsure how to determine "Program Memory" needs- but if I provide more, it does appear to beome more reliable. Can you please advise how to calculate requred size of "Program Memory"- does this need to contain the exe when it is run? Or just the application's storage space requirements?

Thanks,
Rick
Go to Top of Page

rdall

16 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  12:56:04  Show Profile  Email Poster
I've just had it go down again while deploying my app, target has 7.5MB of free storage and 10MB of program memory. This is surely enough of both?

Should I try updating my Xb image as per the recent post by rcascheri? I have Windows CE version 5.00 (build 1400) on Bitsy Xb. Where do I get the image upgrade?

Thanks,
Rick
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  13:01:34  Show Profile  Email Poster
How exactly are you downloading the application?
Go to Top of Page

rdall

16 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  14:37:24  Show Profile  Email Poster
Using VS2005, "Deploy" process. But I believe I've had the same problem just using file copying.
Go to Top of Page

rdall

16 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  16:00:39  Show Profile  Email Poster
How can I get the 5.0.10 CE Image for the BitsyXb boards, mentioned by rcascheri? I think I have 5.00. Does it have the "Persistent Registry" facility built in, as mentioned in the Bitsy X manual? That would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Rick
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  17:15:09  Show Profile  Email Poster
The BitsyXb builds are now posted at forum topic 2100.

5.00.14 is a new release just out yesterday. Let us know how it works for you.
Go to Top of Page

cliu

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  15:02:50  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am following the instructions for StrongARM and I am receiving the error message, "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

I have a Bitsy Xb and I'm trying to sync it with Windows XP

When I make the connection I am prompted with a "Found New Hardware" dialog, but the files I have downloaded from here are not working.

I see that this issue has come up before but I do not see any posts which indicate that the problem was ever solved for them.

I notice that the README does not claim to support windows XP...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft USB ActiveSync Drivers
for Win98/WinNT/Win2000 PCs
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The drivers in this package allow you to connect the USB client port
of your ADS single-board computer to a PC to create an ActiveSync
connection.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer IBM
System Model 237394U
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~1595 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date IBM 1RETDPWW (3.21 ), 6/2/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.33
Windows Directory C:WINDOWS
System Directory C:WINDOWSsystem32
Boot Device DeviceHarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 546.98 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File C:pagefile.sys
Go to Top of Page

jjoseph

47 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  10:41:43  Show Profile
The BitsyXb is an Xscale product. StrongARM is an older technology. Try using the ActiveSync USB drivers for Xscale.
Go to Top of Page

ppsystems

14 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  08:09:51  Show Profile  Email Poster
Was a 64 bit version of the BitsyxB USB driver ever provided by Microsoft or ADS? The last forum post I see is from 2006 which expects one with Vista's release.

I am trying to connect the BitsyxB to a 64 bit Windows 7 system.
By the way, I did get the old 32 bit driver and ActiveSync to work with the XP mode virtual computer.
Go to Top of Page

grenierm

133 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  12:17:41  Show Profile  Email Poster
Eurotech has not released a 64 bit USB ActiveSync driver and as a result, we would recommend that you contact Microsoft directly for the latest updates.

If you have any further questions, please drop us a line directly at support.us@eurotech.com
Go to Top of Page

mcmalburg

28 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  13:39:23  Show Profile  Email Poster
I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 and am having no problems connecting to a BitsyXb via USB. ActiveSync does not apply to Vista or Windows 7. The connection software for these platforms is the "Windows Mobile Device Center" (aka. WMDC). First you'll need to download install WMDC. (and optionally remove ActiveSync if you've installed it)

Here's the trick - you don't actually use a Bitsy driver. Instead you manually install the device using the "let me pick" option. From there choose "Mobile Device", "Microsoft", "Microsoft USB Sync". You'll get an ironic warning regarding the driver not being recommended. The irony is that Microsoft is warning you not to use a Microsoft driver. Nonetheless, it works great!

Go to Top of Page

ppsystems

14 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  15:20:07  Show Profile  Email Poster
The Microsoft web site implies that WMDC is only for Vista. But as the prior post says, I was able to download and install the 64bit version of WMDC 6.1 into a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system and it connected to the BitsyxB over USB without any problem. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000