Serial RTS control using EscapeCommFunction
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Tim

39 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  16:24:11  Show Profile  Email Poster
Can I control the RTS line on the Graphics Master? I have tried using EscapeCommFunction(...,SETRTS) which works fine on my PC, but does not seem to work on any of the Serial Ports on the Graphics Master. I have tried COM1, SA1110, and COM4, UART.

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2002 :  12:39:19  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Tim. Thanks for the question. The short answer (from the MS help files) is that, "If handshaking is enabled, it is an error for the application to adjust the line by using the EscapeCommFunction function" (CE help files->API reference->COMM->Structures->DCB).

You might try using RTS_CONTROL_ENABLE, RTS_CONTROL_DISABLE or RTS_CONTROL_TOGGLE modes if you want to control the RTS/RTR line directly.

For further information about RS232 handshaking and Windows CE, take a look at this topic.

-----------------------
Drew Kidder
ADS Technology Transfer
Go to Top of Page

Tim

39 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2002 :  14:22:25  Show Profile  Email Poster
I do have RTS_CONTROL_DISABLE set as the Microsoft documentation states.
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2002 :  17:26:41  Show Profile  Email Poster
Thanks for sending a sample of what you've been testing with, Tim. I rolled it into a small app and found that RTS toggles corectly on COM1: and COM5: on both the GC Plus and GMaster (COM5: rightfully gives an error when run on the GC Plus).

There's a chance one of the older CE builds had an issue with this feature. You might try one of the current Graphics Master builds.

Test_RTS app (ZIP, 14kB)
Go to Top of Page

Tim

39 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2002 :  13:57:44  Show Profile  Email Poster
Are there jumpers on the board which affect the RTS line? I understand that COM4 = Serial A and COM5 = Serial B, is that correct?

I tried your program and still don't see any wiggle on the RTS lines. My CE build was downloaded March 15 of this year. Is that old?

Go to Top of Page

Tim

39 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2002 :  17:17:53  Show Profile  Email Poster
Bad cabling on COM1 solved the problem. COM4 and COM5 aren't working. The Tx line seems to float. Is there a jumper to connect the QUAD Uart to J20? The documentation states that the line should be 3.3v or ext. 12v. Is there a jumper to configure for 3.3v or 12v?

We are checking J20 pins 25 and 26 for Tx lines on Serial A and Serial B, COM4 and COM5 respectively.

Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2002 :  10:49:46  Show Profile  Email Poster
[We discussed this yesterday offline. Here's the resolution.]

Take a look at this GMaster User's Manual addendum about Serial A and B on J20, which explains why you won't see voltages on the serial lines when you test it open circuit.

-----------------------
Drew Kidder
ADS Technology Transfer
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000